Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 09:54 PM

just got some chicken wings..

got some chicken wings for my dogs from sainsburys, out of the fridge section. am i best to freeze them and thaw them out. i thought id heard somewhere that you need to freeze them first?

thanks
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
With white meat you don't need to freeze them first.

If it is the first time your dogs have had chicken wings, just supervise carefully, but they should be fine. The first time Jess had chicken wings, she didn't know what to do with them lol.

If you feed red meat or bones, it is best to freeze them for at least 24 hours first...
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
If it's the first time they've had wings I would hold them with a pair of pliers to avoid them gulping them down
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
With white meat you don't need to freeze them first.

If it is the first time your dogs have had chicken wings, just supervise carefully, but they should be fine. The first time Jess had chicken wings, she didn't know what to do with them lol.

If you feed red meat or bones, it is best to freeze them for at least 24 hours first...
thankyou, what is the reason for freezing them, is it to kill bacteria etc? and why dont you have to freeze white meat? (sorry if im being abit thik lol)

theyve had them once before when we had some from the butchers. rex didn;t know what to do, he was just gurading it but duke my gsd loved um!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:20 PM
oh and do i need to take the skin off? when we got them before from the butchers, the skin was already removed
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
As far as I'm aware it is to kill the bacteria, but as to why red and not white I have no idea if I'm totally honest.

With Jess, I wholesale buy her raw meat (she is fed raw) and so all of her meat is frozen before I give it to her, so I don't really think about it to be totally honest.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:22 PM
No, don't worry about the skin. Your poochies will be fine with it.

If they have sensative tummies, they might react a bit to them as the skin is fatty, but other than that, don't worry about it.
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Freezing does not kill bacteria. It simply puts any into suspended animation. Once thawed bacteria will continue where it left off. It is only heat that will kill bacteria.

Generally, frozen meat cells burst during the thawing process which in some small way tenderises the meat. This is the only benefit I would imagine.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Here is the basic reason why red meat (beef mainly) should be frozen for 24 hours minimum......
warlord0
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Ahh yeah, parasites will die in the cold. Good article.

"The cyst form of the parasite is extremely hardy, capable of surviving exposure to freezing down to −12 degrees Celsius (10 degrees Fahrenheit), moderate temperatures and chemical disinfectants such as bleach, and can survive in the environment for over a year. It is, however, susceptible to high temperatures—above 66 degrees Celsius (150 degrees Fahrenheit), and is thus killed by thorough cooking, and would be killed by 24 hours in a typical domestic freezer.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >