Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fatbelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Lump on Puppy's abdomen

Hi our 11 week old Cocker Pup Murphy has got a lump which was the size of a Raspberry on the lower part of his abdomen just by his private part.

The lump appeared on Boxing Day and our Vet is closed for the holiday period but I got to speak to a emergency Vet who over the phone said it was a gland that will swell up when he has been excited. This fitted because we had family over a Christmas and Murphy loved the attention.

The lump has now greatly reduced but is still there. Our Vets reopens tomorrow so we have him booked in.
In the meantime could you have a look at the photos below and see what you think. I have circled the lump.

cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 11:04 AM
No great expert but do have male dogs and the over excited swelling I would expect to see at the root of his penis not at the side.

It looks to me like he has wet himself while weeing or scratched his tum and it's got a bit sore. Do the brown marks wipe off? I'd maybe bathe in boiled cooled salt water and put a wee bit of soothing cream on until you get to the vet

HTH
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi FB I can't see any swelling but like Cav4una I can see a small rash which could be caused by urine/dermatitis of some kind and I would follow Cavs suggestion re cleaning the area. For the mild saline use a pint of boiled water to a teaspoon of sea salt and after cleaning dry the area throughly .
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2009, 07:59 PM
When male dogs/pups get excited there are usually two lumps, one on either side of the penis that come up. They are hard to the touch and go down again once the dog has settled. I would say that the lump on your puppy doesn't sound like that and isn't in the right place. Is the lump hard or soft? Is it red or is there no difference in the skin colouration? It is possible as previously mentioned that he has scratched himself and it's got a little bit infected.

When you think of lumps on a pups tum you generally think of a hernia, but I don't think it looks like that and it's not really in the usual place. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps get him checked out by the vet once they open just for peace of mine
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Angel44 View Post
When you think of lumps on a pups tum you generally think of a hernia, but I don't think it looks like that and it's not really in the usual place. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but perhaps get him checked out by the vet once they open just for peace of mine
I thought of a hernia right away until I saw the picture
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi. Honestly hun i wouldnt worry. I have a little lad and he gets the same. We had him castrated but when he gets excited he gets one on either side. Dont worry. His go down quick. Rub them over and they'll go down xx
fatbelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Took Murphy to the Vets today and he said he did not have a clue what it was but he did know it was nothing to worry about, which is good news.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Was pretty sure it would be ok but really glad it is
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
he said he did not have a clue what it was but he did know it was nothing to worry about, which is good news.

sounds like a contradiction in terms lol
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by jumbosdad View Post
he said he did not have a clue what it was but he did know it was nothing to worry about, which is good news.

sounds like a contradiction in terms lol
i agree, if he doesnt no what it is how can he say its nothing to worry about
i sure it will be something and nothing though