Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Changing from puppy food??

Peat is now 17 weeks.
Should I wait till he is 6 months to change to junior food or can you change earlier?
He seems to be very hungrey though out the day on this JWB puppy.

Many thanks
S-J
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 06:09 PM
There really is no advantage to keeping him on puppy food. Why not try him on adult food? It has less protein, but generally that's a good thing as puppy food often has too much protein, and can affect his growth as well as making him bounce off the walls!

Honestly, puppy food is a bit of a con imo. If it's not filling him up, switch him!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Thank you. Katie is on skinners muesli do you think that will be ok for him?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I used JWB puppy for as long as I thought Kismet needed the added protein, then I fed morning half and half puppy and evening adult, then just switched over to adult... I can see the thinking behind puppy food, but would agree with Loki's mum that 'Junior food' seems a con.

There is no harm in switching to adult whenever Peat seems ready If he seems to lose too much weight or doesn't have enough energy, then try half and half... Is he on 3 or 4 meals a day... ? If not and he is getting hungry in the day, try splitting his food up to three or four meals through the day, that should sort him, then wean him back to 2 meals... Or make one of the meals a more interactive one, like frozen into a kong, or a raw feed, frozen chicken wings or a frozen fish are Kismet's faves
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Thank you. Magpye
He is on 3 meals aday. I think I will buy him another bag of puppy and start whining him on to the adult.
Why do JWB just do puppy food in these small bags.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 09:09 PM
they don't... I bought a huge sack for Kismet, but I went to a pet food wholesalers for it... hmmmm might just be your petshop. Ask them if they will order in for you... Puppy is available in all the same size sacks as the adult.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Thank you Everywhere around here I have been does little bags maybe if I asked they could get one but I ould get it off the net I just though they only did little bag so haven't evern looked but never mind now will get a small one and change him over slowly. he had a little bit of Skinners tonight see how he goes.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2008, 10:15 PM
17 weeks is still very young. Puppies need all the protein they can get so don't change from puppy food too soon, especially with larger breeds, and certainly not until their frames have finished forming.

After that, they can "fill out" on junior food but any weight loss while they are still actually growing can be detrimental to their long term health.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Lilyput I did wonder this I am doing alot of search on the net tonight
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Just keep him nice and filled out, he'll be fine
If he's snackish gie him something rich in protein but easy on his stomach like chicken or whitefish. I give frozen and raw, but I've also given it cooked and stuffed in a kong.

Puppy food is such a mine field these days isn't it. I remember when there was no such thing as puppy food and you raised your pup as best you could on scraps and normal dog food.. Now I'm worried if it is hypoallergenic and low in sodium!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >