Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Working/training deaf dogs?

I've never met a deaf dog before, but was wondering, do they 'learn' from other dogs around them??

E.g. If they saw other dogs going outside, would they follow? If they saw other dogs going to eat, would they do the same?

I know a lot of deaf dogs can be trained with hand signals (sit, down, wait, come, etc) but how do you train in terms of things that aren't commanded? E.g. If Max is pestering, I will ask him " do you want out?" - he will then run to the back door and stand and wait to be let out. How can you do this with a deaf dog?

Cheers!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I would imagin rather than saying do you want to go out you use a hand signal the same as any other commands, I know the family that has one of my pups had a deaf boxer and was taught hand signals and it worked marvelously, remember dogs work on body signals more than the spoken word.

Mo
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I have a friend who did not even realise their dog had gone deaf. He had another dog, and the deaf one used him as his ears. He always slept with part of him touching the other dog, he relied on his body language to tell him when to bark at the front door etc. When they were out he never went far away and if he saw the other dog being called back he would come back too. He relied on my friend's body language too and was so good at reading it it was a while before anyone realised he had gone completely deaf.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-12-2008, 05:58 PM
when we fostered Jack last winter he had to be totally trained, he learnt as much (if not more) from my other 2 dogs as he did from me with hand commands. A lot of it is learning to, or being allowed to be a dog. For that other dogs that are happy set in the way of things are invaluable. Having Jack here helped me realise quickly how little of my communicating with the dogs was verbal. Not that I ever shut up