Our sister sites
Our sister sites
htar
New Member!
Male 

25-12-2008, 10:57 AM

3 month old pup hiccups

Hi guys,
Every now and them my 3 month old pomeranian spitz pup does some kind of hiccups, they last for 2-3 minutes and at times I think he might be about to throw up? anyone help me with that. Also i notice that sometimes he seems to be breathing very fast even when he's asleep and not necessarily after he's been exercising.
he is fed eukanuba puppy food and is given plenty fresh water wth the occasioal treat ( pedigree puppy markies)

Big Thanks ... and Happy Christmas!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Nick hiccups are not at all unusual in puppies (and human babies too) with immature digestive systems, they tend to grow out of it. With very young puppies I would give a little warm milk, with older puppies a little honey in warm water and this should stop it (milk should not be given to older puppies, most lose the ability to digest lactose so milk can upset their tummy giving then diarrhoea) .

Puppies do sometimes appear to breath fast, nothing to worry about in a fit healthy puppy
buddi bo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi, my pup was always having hiccups , but now he is 6 months i havent noticed it so often , must be something they grow out of, every now and then he gets hiccups now. He does eat rather fast, i thought that might have been the reason with my little boy.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 12:29 PM
HIccipups... Cruiser always had them..still does occasionally
htar
New Member!
Male 

26-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys,

i'll go with the honey and warm water, freds 4 months so maybe old enough to stay away from the milk and as he's not yet toilet trained I really dont want any diarrhoea knocking about the house.
Big thanks
Nick
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2008, 04:01 PM
All sounds normal to me for a pup that age. I remember panicking abit too for the first time. ;o)

Woody gets the hiccups when he's settled down after a feed/drink or play and breaths really fast sometimes.