Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 12:55 PM

upset tummy - is kaolin ok?

Tala has got an upset tummy today and we have very little kaogel left. Kaogel usually sorts her out in 24 hours. The vet won't give me another prescription unless he sees her. But she is fine in herself and it is probably something she has scavenged on one of the walks. If I get a bottle of Kaolin from the chemist can I give her that and if so what dose?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't know about kaolin (I assume that's what is in Kaogel?) but I give slippery elm powder for a upset tummy and it's really effective.

You can get it from health food shops. I mix it in a little bit of milk (just half a teaspoon of powder).

HTH x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Natural priobotic yogurt is good as well. Mine have a desertspoonful of it every couple of days because it is good for the digestive enzymes. I always have some powdered kaolin in for emergencies, mine have only ever had an upset tummy once, and that was on Christmas Day - typical - the only time I couldn't pop them down the vets!!! I was going over to OH's in the New Year and they were due in kennels, so I took them on the 27 December as they were still off colour, he gave them a jab each and cleared them to go to kennels, £60 EACH!!!! I wouldn't have taken them if they hadn't been due in kennels but I obviously wanted to make sure they were OK before they went and they had nothing nasty.
Is there a doggy tummy bug going around in your area?? I found out later that a few dogs near to me had it as well.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I actually have some slippery elm in the house. She was always very loose as a puppy on Eukanuba and I got it then. Had forgotten about that! Thanks Sarah!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Tawneywolf I don't think there is a bug going around. I made some liver training treats yesterday and she has not had liver for a long time so could be that. I do also have probiotic yoghurt in so it seems I am well equipped to deal with this upset. If my dogs are going to get ill it is usually a Sunday or a Bank Holiday!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-12-2008, 01:26 PM
You have your own in-house pharmacy but just didn't know it
I can't see the liver treats being the cause, unless she had the whole lot, by the time it is sliced and then baked in the oven it isn't as 'active' shall we say as raw liver
I know boiled white fish or tripe is good after a tummy upset, especially tripe because it is cows stomach after all and still has the enzymes in it.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
If my dogs are going to get ill it is usually a Sunday or a Bank Holiday!

Same in this house too!!!!

Hope your pooch feels better soon x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I popped out to the butchers to get some chicken to pop in the freezer just in case I need to take her off her kibble. Thank you both for your help.
She has a marrow bone ready to come out of the freezer for Christmas day but I think that will have to wait for a bit now. Poor Tala getting ill at Christmas!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-12-2008, 04:27 PM
The Norties send her big hugs and hope she is well enough to eat her marrow bone tomorrow. If not, they can always help out
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2008, 05:59 PM
i use arrowroot its about a quid a tub and least ages ...make it up like think custard and it lines the tummy just the same as kaogel

its in the home bake isle at asda
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >