Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:57 PM

playing on a long line

Has anyone had any experience of letting their dog play with other dogs on a long line? My dog ignores the recall command when playing with other dogs and I have been told this would be a useful way of ensuring she comes back. But I am worried that the line might get wrapped round her or the other dog and hurt one or both of them.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes you could have tangling issues. Where you thinking of leaving the long line loose or holding it? If it's loose it prob won't be too bad, depending on how they play.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I was thinking of leaving it loose so that I could get hold of it to draw her in. She dances around out of reach although sometimes she will go down if I tell her to and I can then put the lead on. Not very keen on long lines as they are difficult to manage but getting desperate!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I used a long line with Dale but I was always wary of letting him play with strange dogs. There were never any problems but I have heard of dogs who've got in a tangle and its started a fight. I picked up the line when I saw other dogs coming and only let him go with dogs I knew.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 07:55 PM
When you say you only let Dale go with dogs you knew, do you mean that he was still on the line when he was playing? And if so did you have any problems?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi,
I let my JRT play on a long line only with my other dog and a few others we know.
They all like to play frisbee but my JRT Milo always snatches it off them and won't come close enough to let us take it and the other dogs won't attempt to take it off him again, even though they are much much bigger.
Nobody has ever got tangled in it and it is dropped on the floor so we can reel him in and get the frisbee back again.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Madmare can you tell me how long the line was?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh my goodness I am no good at guessing measurements, but will hazard a guess at approx 15ft
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Ok thanks I'll give it a go with a dog that I know. Just need a way of making sure she comes back when she is told.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Just make sure your dog is wearing a harness with the long line attached as occasionally as they are all running one of the other dogs has stood on the longline bringing milo to an abrupt halt .
Had it been attatched to a collar though it could have done him some serious damage.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >