Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Be careful out there

If you are going out in this weather take more care than normal. I have just had the walk from hell.

It hasnt snowed here overnight but it has rain and been bitterly cold so the roads and are just like an ice rink, I planned on taken them through the woods but with the state of the roads, paths and fields up to the woods were a nightmare so turned back and a walk that would have took 20mins took 40 odd minutes.

The dogs didnt help either, Star who walks brilliant on his lead did nothing but pull and and Skye who was a nightmare but over the last month or so has become good who self reverted back to being like the old skye. Twice they could have caused injury, once walking down a a path where water had run off the grass verges at the side and froze so it was like a bobsliegh track. The other was about to cross the road to home, both paths either sid were thick with ice as was the road, they saw my mum across the road and decided to pull at her thus almost pulling me in the road, thank god for the lamp-post, there was a car coming as well but luckily it was only going about 2-3mph bad as the roads are.

I am not ashamed to say either that I shouted at them, maybe not the right thing but it seemed to do the trick.

Not mentioned Jake as nothing to say apart from he was brilliant, took it easy and took his lead from me...
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Completely understand ! We're like that here, not too bad today, but yesterday was treacherous ! ! With mine not liking other dogs, any walk is a mine field. Can understand the shouting part too, if I get a fright like that I tend to do the same, not much use really, but they pay attention.

Hope next walk goes better
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Doggydina View Post
Completely understand ! We're like that here, not too bad today, but yesterday was treacherous ! ! With mine not liking other dogs, any walk is a mine field. Can understand the shouting part too, if I get a fright like that I tend to do the same, not much use really, but they pay attention.

Hope next walk goes better
Thanks, I wouldnt normally shout at them pulling but when there is a chance the could injury me, themselfs or cause an accident its a different matter.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I guess it was anxiety that made you shout at them, doesn't do any harm. Glad you are all home safe and sound.
The only problem I have here is that I kept getting dazzled by the sun no snow, no ice, just sun!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I'd rather see someone raise their voice to a dog to get its attention than have the dog drag them into the road!

Mine are loving the cold weather at the moment, i dont know why but they also get really silly when its frosty. I was walking them at 6:30 this morning so it was pretty dark, and i took them to the fields behind my house and Riley just ran in circles for about half an hour! He is the laziest dog ever and usually will just have a wander and a sniff but he was just mad this morning!! Luckily, the part i live on is the very new bit so the roads dont go anywhere, so i dont have much of an issue with cars which is good as my Gracie tries to attack any car, she's terrible!! But also, with there being about 100 acres of fields directly behind my garden (all building postponed until further notice ) i can avoid roads completely!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I fell yesterday going down the little hill towards the field, lol - landed with a large thud, but my well-padded butt cushioned the landing!!!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
yes you have a very good point ,both of mine pull when together ,willow on her own ,dosnt .they can pulll me over very easily . it can be dangerous
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I guess it was anxiety that made you shout at them, doesn't do any harm. Glad you are all home safe and sound.
The only problem I have here is that I kept getting dazzled by the sun no snow, no ice, just sun!
Totnes on Tuesday there were accidents galore. I skidded on black ice and put a nice dent on the car. Grrrr.
Tis sunny tho.