Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dlboxerdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanksgiving Weekend

Dear Dog Lovers, I don't know if Thanksgiving is something that you celebrate. It is most likely just a tradition in the USA. I shared my Thanksgiving with a few dear friends and six Boxers.

I do not have a large family--just my daughter, her husband and my granddaughter, Bella, now 7 years old. Usually I invite friends to gather with us.

This year, my dear old friend, Phillip, came with his three Boxers. My son-in-law, who doesn't like either me or dogs (which is also why I don't like him), was not present.

Phillip has always had a Boxer, usually one he raises from a pup. In the last three years, he has become involved with Minnesota Boxer Rescue. He has adopted two wonderful males, named Rex and Grindle. He also has Willa, who he has had since she was a pup.

There was no anxiety about our dogs meeting for the first time. If you remember, I have Layla, the reverse brindle 5 month old puppy, Shelly, an eight year old female and Rocketdog, my blind fawn boy, also 8 years old now.

Shelly thinks she is Layla's Mother. She did growl at the male dogs once Layla started rough housing with them. My daughter started to reprimand Shelly, but I told her, "She's just acting like a Mom."

Our meal was delicious with many treats from other lands. I had stuffed grape leaves, hummus (remember I grew up in Saudi Arabia), Swedish potato sausage, pickled herring in sour cream, baked heads of garlic, Brie, French bread, turkey and Ligonberries from Sweden. I also made dressing with oysters. And, a home made apple pie.

The dogs were well behaved. I was surprised at Layla, because she wasn't obnoxious. Since I live alone, I eat my meals in a huge chair next to the fire place and in front of the tv. My dogs are either in the chair with me or staring at me from the floor. They know if they are patient, I will give them a treat. I know I shouldn't, but I am more soft hearted than diligent about table food.

None of the dogs begged for food! Phillip and I must be doing something right!

Phillip's dogs have a dog door, and so do mine. There was no need to teach anyone how to exit or enter the house. His old girl, Willa, was particularly happy to wander my two fenced acres.

One time, there was a huge Boxer wrestling match. Grindle and Rex and Layla and Rocket, my blind guy, were all having a grand time chewing on each other and knocking each other over. The two older females were on the side lines.

Phillip stayed until about 6 p.m. We ate again--turkey sandwiches and pie.

We took photos of all six Boxers on my great leather couch. It wasn't easy to get them to all stay put.

I do need some help from you as to how I can post photos. I wrote to the Dogsey administrator, but have not received a reply. I know so many of you asked for photos of Layla, the puppy, so I tried. Now, I would love to send you photos of the six Boxers on my couch.

Finally, it was time for Phillip to return to St. Paul. It is a 35 mile trip one way. I held onto the collars of Layla and Rocket, the two dogs I would worry about getting backed over as Phillip exited my driveway. I didn't worry about Shelly, as she has eyes and is not a puppy.

After Phil had driven away, I prepared supper for the dogs. I called for Shelly, but she did not come. After feeding Layla and Rocket, I took them for a walk, certain I would encounter Shelly. (I do live in the country, and dogs do not require leashes. I walk my dogs off leash, knowing that they will stay close.)

I called and whistled. No Shelly. I returned home and got into my Jeep. I searched the ditches for a mile each way of my home. No Shelly. I walked down to the river that goes through my property. The ice is very thin. But it was intact. I saw no place where Shelly might have broken through the ice and drowned.

Feeling very worried and sad, I went home. No sooner than I entered the door, the phone rang. It was Phillip. He said, "Guess who came home with me?"

I knew immediately Shelly had jumped into his van with his three Boxers.

He said the dogs were so tired from playing and running all day that they zoned out immediately for the ride. He didn't realize he had an extra dog until he fed them. When all three of his dogs were eating, he saw there was another pair of eyes looking at him.

During the day, we both had remarked several times how much alike the two older girls are. Both are brindle, and both wear purple collars. When you look at their muzzles, you can see the difference, but their markings are so much alike we were fooled all day long.

I left immediately for St. Paul to make the 70 mile round trip so that Shelly would not think I had given her to a new home.

Shelly is rescued, and, after she was surrendered from her owner, I first asked my daughter to take her, as I knew she was a special dog. My daughter has another dog, Vienna, a PB mix. My daughter's husband did not like having two big dogs. Last year, about this time, I took Shelly back, as my beloved Boxer Sarah was so crippled she could barely walk. Sarah left me January 3rd, peacefully, in my arms.

Well, Phillip and I had a huge laugh over this. Silly Shelly, who loves to ride in cars.

Peace be with you. I can hardly wait to share photos of puppy Layla and the 6 dogs on the couch. Diana Lynn of Stacy, MN
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-11-2008, 08:44 PM
DL - What a lovely blog, and although you had a few anxious moments I had to smile about Shelley getting in the car and Philip not realising!! They are clearly a great friends and it's so nice to see dogs playing together. You paint a nice picture of 'thanksgiving' which is not celebrated in Europe (Unless you live next door to an American as I did once)