Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Swimming Puppies

Do any of you have dogs that love to swim?

If so, did they start swimming as puppies? Did they know how to swim from a very young age or did they just splash about when little and gradually learn?

Oh, and what breed are they?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:00 PM
My German Shepherd that I owned years ago was a devil for water, rain, hail & snow, he didn't care, he adored swimming. He was terrible to keep out of it, more like a Lab!!

He first swam at about 8-9mths I'd say, not entirely sure how it came about now after all these years.

Funnily enough though, none of the Rotts I've owned would swim (Marius included) - he will paddle up to his elbows but no further.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Well I think all labs are born ready to swim!!

Honey has always loved swimming and started out by just splashing around but she knew how to swim straight away!!!
I would say from a big puppy i let her swim - about four or five months i think- tried not to do too much but think its a great exercise for big puppies as it doesnt stress the joints.

Looby we got when she was 5 yrs and she really DIDNT know how to swim!!
H has taught her now tho and she just about keeps up and is a great swimmer!!!

So guess like children, the younger they start learning the easier it is for them.

Interesting thread....would also like to know about other breeds!!!
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

All three of Mine are swimmers

I have,

Honey (Lab Cross) who from a puppy I used to get in the water with her and it went from there.

Missy (Labrador) This dog is obsessed with water!!! Where ever she can she's in water even if it's the smallest puddle to a big river!!! She even leaps into canals which she can't get out of - the amount of times I come back wetter than the dogs!!!

Narla (Rottie) She has swam a couple of times (when she's had to ) only gets it up to her knees
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Ben loves to swim but he will not go out of his depth...Poppy? don't know yet will keep you posted
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by SamRottLabb View Post
n
Narla (Rottie) She has swam a couple of times (when she's had to ) only gets it up to her knees
Hmmm, wonder if it's a Rottie thing
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Fingal has loved swimming since he was a puppy (Springer)
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Lola (Newfoundland) had her frist proper swim at about 13 weeks of age but I guess that's to be expected from the breed.

My Chow X Rottie (who came to us aged 6 months) only paddled at first but by the time he was 10 months old he had become and enthusiastic swimmer.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I'll explain why I asked the question.

We have two Beagles - 13 months and 13 weeks.

Most beagles aren't keen on water, but we started taking the oldest to a pet therapy pool at about 7 months old. She now goes every week. She's a great little swimmer and now likes water. It also ensures that she's using all of her muscles (not just the running and walking ones) which is good protection for the joints.

We'd like to take the little 13 week old too. We wouldn't give him long sessions - just pop a life jacket on him and let him have a short play in the water. I'd be in the pool with him with a wetsuit on.

Pretty much everyone we mentioned this to threw up their hands in horror and said that we'd harm the pup while he's still growing. Some said wait until 6 months - others more than a year!!!

This seems crazy to me. It's while he's at this age that he needs to get all the new experiences. It could save his life - what if he falls in a river at 4 months old? I'm not thinking of giving him the swimming workouts that his big sister gets - just little fun sessions. If it were summer and we were heading down to the beach regularly I'd let him in the water so what's the big deal in taking him to a heated thearapy pool?

One thing I should add - when it comes to exercise our vet (a highly regarded vet) advised us to disregard all the advise regarding limmiting a pup's exercise. She said let them do as much as they like - just don't force them. She pointed out that Beagles were bred to run for hours each day. When they are puppies their play *should* build their bodies in preparation for this.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Swimming is very tiring so that is the only reason IMO why a young pup shouldnt do much - but I dont think it is actually BAD for them....there is hardly no sress and strain on the joints at all.

By tiring i mean if you throw a ball out into a lake and the poor thing couldnt get back...not under supervision in a small pool..

And Scarter i think you are experienced enough to know what is best...dont listen to others!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >