Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Seperating A Bitch In Season

I know some of you on here breed dogs and own both entire males and females so I guess my question is for you guys mainly!

I've got a rescue bitch who isnt spayed. I got her in July and she hasnt yet had a season so will be approaching one soon. I've got 2 males also but both are neutered.

I've moved back with my parents and the dogs live in the kitchen. I dont yet have any funds to get Jessie spayed so how easy or difficult is it going to be to get through her season with 2 males in close proximity?

I know even though they have been castrated, they can still go through the motions and I dont want it to cause any aggression between the dogs.

Any suggestions or methods you employ would be appreciated!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm going through this at the moment with my Kismet. Fortunately Pharaoh my castrated male dog wasn't the least interested, even n the height of her season and even though she flirted like a floozie at him incessantly! I did make sure they were never together unless I was supervising though. She had to be put out in the outside run and Pharaoh in the house when I went to work and I put her in her crate over night. But while we were about there were never any problems we couldn't surmount.

I have heard of other people though that have needed to send the bitch to a relative for a while. I guess you'll have to find out how it is in your household.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I`ve had till recently 2 neutered males and an entire female. When Daisy was in season the boys ignored it all apart from the one day she was most fertile. Then they humped for England - the stairs, the sofa, each other... So they were only separated for a very short time. Then they lost interest again.
However, they`re all different so IMO you`ll have to play it by ear. If they`ve never been active they may not know what to do.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I've got 5 girls and 1 boy. He's still quite young but last time one of the girls had a season, he was beside himself! I had to crate him separately at night and when not supervised. When supervised he had a bellyband on him and I put teddy bears knickers on my girl (to be doubly sure). He would sit and stare at my girl and cry. He also 'marked' the house quite a bit.

As has already been said, every boy is different so you will have to see how it goes.

Also, girls are different with their seasons. One of my girls actually ripped his bellyband off with her teeth (velcro fastening) hence the use of knickers to be on the safe side!!!!

I will not be putting my boy through it any more. I shall send him to my Mum's for a couple of weeks.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I have an entire female as well as a spayed female and 3 neutered males and don't seperate them at all. The males show varying signs of interest, I just tell them to pack it in if it gets too boisterous,
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
What about with entire males and females...how easy or difficult is it then?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like it might not be such a disaster as I thought. Flynn has low to zero interest in bitches but Jed is a bit of a ladies man. However, Jessie wont tolerate him anywhere near her really, probably because he introduced himself to her by trying to hump her so he'd be a wise man not to try anything really!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
It isnt a biggy. Jo has had two seasons with Hector and about 3 days in the cycle he was a bit randy, but she saw him off.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Is he neutered?
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
i completly separated mine for a whole month, just thought it would be alot easier than any accidents
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >