Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Should i take on 2 further dogs?

Help, advice, and wise words needed!

As some of you will know i already have 2 rescued greyhounds, i now have the opportunity to take on 2 further dogs, two whippets. I need to decide by the weekend.
Am i crazy? What do you guys think? All opinions welcome positives and negatives.....

We have a big garden so space is not an issue as such.

Would love to hear from those of you who have 4 or more dogs living in your home....Fernsmum etc...

Many Thanks
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:39 AM
i have 4 dogs and look after another one twice a week. i dont have any probs having 4 dogs we live in the new forest so they all go out for a run together they all get on and never had anytrouble with them altogether in fact they all cuddle up together in the evening. its a case of can you afford the food insurnace pay for their jabs worming. if you can then i say go for it. i also have 4 kids but i do all the work with the dogs the kids help pick up the poo etc and hubby occaisionly walks them but not very often but then i dont work. can you introduce to yours before you make your mind up to make sure there wont be any problems with them all
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I had 4 dogs and am now on 3 and I found 4 hard but always have a foster so like 5 really, and all big dogs. Also I had a ridgeback x and NI under 18 months and thats been hard.

My friend has 5 greyhounds and her house so chilled and calm so guess it depends on the dogs personality.

If you can afford food and insurance go for it.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I am no expert as I have only had 2 of my own and sometimes look after a third....but I reckon you probably know whay your gonna do

It probably will be hard initially, and it will obviously cost you a lot more...and if you want to take the chance of putting out your two dogs you have now for a bit....if they get on well with other dogs they should be fine after a time.

Like others said is there a way you can see how they all get on first??

It is exciting.....looking forward to pics already, lol!!!!

Good luck x
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:51 AM
As a 2 hound household here i know why you are seriously considering more! Greyhounds are soo chilled out that i often wonder if we have the space or the money for another. There are so many in need of good homes too. I think the major thing you need to think about is money. If it was me and I had the time, money and space i'd definately go for it.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I think you should introduce the dogs to see how they get on.We have 2 rescue dogs and were going to take on a 3rd rescue recently, but when we took our dogs to meet him there were real problems with the new dog and our male dog, and we felt it wouldn't be the right thing to take on the new dog.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I have had 4 or more dogs for the past 17 years . I find 4 to be ok as you can walk them 2 in each hand . Whippets and greyhounds would be a good mix as they have very similar natures . Issues would be ,vet bills would increase , food bills would increase although I don't find whippets to be fussy . The other thing to think about is if you want to go on holiday your kennel fees would be higher .
If the dogs meet up and are ok with each other and you have thought all that out then go ahead with a 7 day trial .
There are a lot of breeds I don't think I could cope with 4 of but whippets and greyhounds I could .
If you don't take them and they need a home I am on a sighthound forum where occasionally people look for whippets or want homes for them . I also know the name of a whippet rescue who could maybe help so PM me if you need to. Good luck with your decision
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I have 5 all under the age of 4 and look after another during the day time. Mostly it's a doddle but 3 of mine are rehomes so came with a few issues and they do sometimes have their moments but apart from the cost of feeding and caring etc there are no real downsides to it.
I have always found they get on fine initially but after a couple of months when everything has settled down and they start to find their feet is when niggles start to surface.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Good advice there.
I think you have probably given a lot of thought to this already and as honeysmummy has said I reckon you know what you are going to do
Good luck with your decision ........... can't wait for the piccies!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 12:43 PM
some things to think about
Excercise: I have 4 dogs and don`t drive so I walk 2 dogs and my son walks 2. I don`t think it`s possible to lead-walk more than 3 dogs safely, personally. A friend has 5 and does drive so it`s not difficult for her.
Indoors: Having 4 dogs in the house hasn`t caused any more problems than having 2, I found.
Costs: Insurance costs are a big expense, especially as they get older. Food costs are doubled. However - you make your own choices about what you spend your money on and I`d rather spend it on my dogs than other things.
And get a good hoover. And pave the garden.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >