Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:42 PM

Woody's new game - biting my legs!!

His overall biting has been much better lately (he hasn't drawn blood for weeks) but yesterday and now today he's taken to biting at my legs and feet everytime I'm either sat on the sofa or walking.

In fact, just as I was typing this he settled down by my feet with a toy, so I praised him and gently stroked him, saying "good boy" and suddenly he just dropped the toy and swung round to bite my hand (never hard, but still!!).

Why on earth is he suddenly doing this? Nothing's changed, I still play the same and train the same and spend the same amount of time with him.

It's getting pretty bad so I really need some help peeps.

Thanks ;o)
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Peat loves to run behind me and bit at my legs when i walk, and chews on my feet whn I am sat but I don't let him do it all the time and say no if he gets to hard.
He is 11 and half weeks.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I don't want him to do it. It hurts and he shouldn't be getting into the habit.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2008, 07:57 PM
pin him to the floor and say nothing..or bit him back!!!!LOLgot to love the pups!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I would say as soon as he does it (e.g. if you are sitting down), get up and walk off...

If he follows you, I would pick him up and briskly walk into the kitchen etc and leave him for a timeout (only a minute or so)

Don't say anything, just ignore him whilst you are in a "time out" situation

He will soon realise that as soon as he does it, you are going to put him away

Max used to jump up at me and try and bite my hands when he was little. It was horrible.
Then, one day, as soon as he did it, I scooped him up, plopped him in the kitchen behind the babygate and walked off. When he was let out, I had a treat for him, but he had to do something "good" for it - so I'd ask for a sit, or a paw etc

It took me a few days of doing this, but he suddenly realised that I didn't want him to bite my hands...

NB: Had I pinned him or bitten him (as above) he would have thought it was all a marvellous game
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Well I don't want him to do it. It hurts and he shouldn't be getting into the habit.
I agree, he should be discouraged from any sort of mouthing or biting. I would give a very loud squeal (as indeed would any pup or dog he chose to bite) and put him in the time out zone for a short while, or just fold my arms and ignore him.

If he has bitten you because he's worried you're going to take his toy then teach him "leave" by offering an acceptable swap (a treat?) so he doesn't see your hand as a threat
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I agree, he should be discouraged from any sort of mouthing or biting. I would give a very loud squeal (as indeed would any pup or dog he chose to bite) and put him in the time out zone for a short while, or just fold my arms and ignore him.

If he has bitten you because he's worried you're going to take his toy then teach him "leave" by offering an acceptable swap (a treat?) so he doesn't see your hand as a threat
I do ignore and time out with him. I also have to be quiet (even if it hurts like hell - you know the inside of the thigh bit!!!;o) as any noise just gets him even more hyper and playful.

He's been abit better today so will keep trying it. Thanks guys. We'll get there, I'm sure ;o) (she added hopefully!)
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Wembley does it - we ignore him if it is just play biting, distract him with a toy or turn around and don't play with him anymore until he knows he shouldn't have done it. If the biting gets hard then he gets a loud yelp as if he really has hurt us (sometimes it does that it brings tears to my eyes, puppy teeth hurt a lot!) He is slowly getting the hang of it, and so will Woody. Wembley is 14 weeks.