Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2008, 12:31 AM

Help with ingrowing toenail!

I've got one and don't I know it. i went to the emergency room earlier on as i had no idea what this huge swelling on my big toe was, turned out it was an ingrowing toenail. Doctor was pretty brief and just gave me some antibiotics and said it should clear up. So is that it? Just a waiting game till the antibiotics does its stuff to the manky yellow-crap weepy toe?
Basically, help cause im lost!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:41 AM
I've never had one, personally, Luke, but my guess would be wait until the antibiotics have cleared up the infection, and then have your doctor check it again. It may be that it needs removing - not something they will attempt whilst it's infected, I reckon.

*Hugs*
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 08:56 AM
My son had infections around his fingernail. As well as the anti biotics you should bathe it in salt water as hot as you can stand.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 01:34 PM
warning gruesome details........My Oh had one a few years ago. Was given antibiotics and then had to go back to clinic. I went with him coz I am a goul They put a band around his big toe and injected anesthetic then they removed the nail and nail bed. Sorry gore coming up ... They use a Reamer and basically its like a screwdriver (sorry ) which sort of pulls the nail bed out and then they put some stuff in to kill the nail bed completly.
My OH never felt a thing Honest but it was really good to watch
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks folks,w ill try the saltwater thing! Really don't want to go to the charopadist *sp n hope it manages to sort itself with antibiotics tbhhh!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:08 PM
i have had them luke a really good tip is when the swelling goes down get some cottom wool and pack the sides of the nail to lift it away from digging in the side of the skin this will be a huge relief

the biggest cause of ingrown toe nailes is cutting them to short on the corners ....
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I have suffered from them, mine were so painful I couldn't even bear the duvet over it at night.
Antibiotics do help when infection sets in but because I am a wuss and wouldn't let my doctor even touch it he reffered me to have an anesthetic to have the whole nail removed.
I hated the dressing it afterwards and then having the stitches out as one had got embedded and now to top it all the nail has grown back anyway and is just starting to give me some grief again.
I must admit I am terrified of needing more surgery on it as it all seems that was a waste of time and I won't let anyone touch my feet if I am awake.
Not trying to put you off and i hope the antis sort you out and it gets no worse.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2008, 04:54 PM
So i don't have to rush off to a charopadist to have it chopped then?
Im just stressing as im meant to be going to some big halloween bash next friday and dont fancy not being able to dance and get sloshed!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
the biggest cause of ingrown toe nailes is cutting them to short on the corners ....
....and I do this all the time....