Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Absolutely sickened :(

I saw a post on a forum recently asking for a foster home for newborn pups with either a lactating bitch or someone who could handrear them.

A rottie bitch had whelped 16 puppies and although she was feeding she couldn't care for them all properly and they were looking to foster out 8 pups and have them back when they were off the milk.

I figured even if I couldn't take 8, if I could help with 2 or 3 it'd be better than nothing so offered to help if they couldn't find anyone else.

At this point I did wonder why the 'breeder' couldn't help the mum out but decided as this is Sheffield and the people of Sheffield are utterly crap recently, it wasn't that strange.

Anyway, I was given a phone number to ring to speak to the woman needing help so phoned her and was informed the bitch was a guard dog where her husband works and another employee had took his entire mastiff to work because the missis didn't want it at home with her and the inevitable happened.
They'd already lost one pup and she said some of the smaller ones looked like they were struggling.
She said her husband was the one who would have the final say and as he was out she would have to call me back. It was 21:50 at the time but I said I'd wait up for the call.

At 23:15 I texted her 'any news?'. She texted me back to say 'Hi (hubby) is out on a job tonight will sort it tomorrow thanks a million'
I texted her back to say 'Will they last that long? If transport is an issue I can collect' - knowing one had already died and some pups hadn't had a feed since they were born that morning, I thought it better to try and get them that night.

That was when I received something that shocked and appalled me
'Will have to leave it til tomorrow no access to yard fingers crossed they ok'

They hadn't even brought the bitch in. She was still on guard duty, locked in a yard in the freezing cold night with 15 vulnerable babies.

I WAS LIVID. How the hell was I supposed to go to sleep knowing that?? I didn't have a clue where this yard is, what kennel facilities she had. I'm damned sure there was no heated pad for the pups or even a heated kennel and how the hell was she supposed to keep 15 warm let alone fed??

Nobody was with this (presumably) first time mum, nobody there to alternate pups and make sure the smaller ones got some milk. Nothing.

I texted back saying 'can you let me know as early as possible because then I can get them to a vet first thing'

Since then (Friday night) I have heard nothing. I have texted, called, left messages, had friends call her in case she was just ignoring me. Nothing.

I sent a message to the person I originally spoke to who seems to be the friend of a friend so not directly involved, asking if she had heard anything because I don't know what's going on.

She sends me one back 'I don't know where they are. 5 died in the night. I am fuming'

Now it turns out the woman I spoke to has gone away for the weekend but apparently she did find foster homes for them before she went.

Sadly, I believe she's gone away but I don't believe that they're all safe. I am sure the poor bitch is still out on a yard somewhere with at least some of the pups who are slowly perishing.

I am so, so angry how can anyone be so damned cruel - no wonder she didn't want to take on the responsibility herself, she's got a F'ing holiday booked!

That poor bitch and those poor babies I can't get them out of my head, it is so, so cold at night

I can't understand it when you have the offer of help and I even had free assistance from the vet - which she knew about so it wouldn't have even cost her a fortune.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Unbelievable, Lottie, really it is.

Poor mum and poor, poor babies........

Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
i dont know what to say other than poor pups.....

you did your best lottie

*hugs*
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Some people are disgusting that's such a terrible thing to do.. poor things i hope she's having a really crap time wherever she's swanned off to!!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd contact the RSPCA it must be against the new animal welfare act surely. I stopped up all night yesterday with Libby and she's not due for 7 days Its hjust not right breeding dogs and not taking responsiblity for the welfare of the mum and babies. Was were they doing letting an entire dog and a bitch in season run together anyway,
You did your best hun bless you, poor babies
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Surely this in breach of the AWA?

Is it worth passing this on to the RSPCA or Dog Warden?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
......................I wont even start...........
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:29 PM
That is awful.
Poor babies. lets hope the ones that have surived are ok and looked after.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I've thought about passing it onto the RSPCA but what can I say?

Somewhere, there is a yard. I don't know what sort of yard and I don't know what area of Sheffield it is in or indeed, if it is in Sheffield (could be in Worksop, Mosbro, Barnsley, Rotherham...). And there is a rottie bitch with pups. Here's the telephone number but she's not answering her phone because she's away and by the time the woman comes back, they'll be dead anyway...

I feel useless but I have tried to find out where it is - I only know the first names of the couple and I haven't the foggiest where to start looking...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I couldn't print what I would like to say.

But some people now-a-days are just walking Pr**ks and think nothing for no-one or anything
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >