Our sister sites
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:11 AM

Waterproof dog coats!

Hi everyone,

Just wanting your opinion on this.

For a long time i did not agree with dog coats, especially if dogs live outside and are native.

But my youngest dog has never liked the rain, oldest does BUT as she is getting older i can tell shes feeling the cold and the rain more. So i'm wanting to get them both some coats, i would like ones suitable for exercising in that will survive...walking, running, DEEP puddles, mud, ditches, agility.

I dont know much about coats, i mean do/would you heavily exercise your dog in one if the weather was bad, or would you not put one on and you use it more for when your dog is....?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I used to think that dogs didn't need coats, but then my old dog, Lenny, reached 15 and started to shiver when out at work with my ex OH.

I bought him a barber jacket type one and had to sew in an extra piece of padding which i cut out from a padded checked shirt!

Lenny used to where is coat all day and was off lead all day running around with it, he only occasionally got it caught up in a bush.

I know you can get ones with legs on them and tummies with keep the dogs really dry, and i suppose you could add a jumper underneath for warmth. Have a look on line, there are soooo many!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 10:23 AM
There is a Standard Poodle who goes for a walk in an all-in-one waterproof coat. It covers her legs down to about "ankle" length, and means she can go gallivanting on the beach and not get too cold (she is quite old).

I doubt my Boxers would wear them, but they must be available for general sale!?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Try Countryman (could be spelt Countrymunn or Countrymann) they make superb lightweight waterproof made to measure with legs, and you just zip up along the back! I've had loads of them in the past from when I had a very wet muddy horse's field my super longcoated gsd used tolike paddling in, and when I took it off, voila, she was pristine clean everytime apart from her feet of course!!! I found the legs to be very long though each time, so I used to just cut them off at the bottom to the desired length. This is the ONLY place Imanaged to get the ones that cover them all over! Those silly coats you put on their backs just slip round when they're running and end up underneath them all plastered in mud! I used to pay £50 a time, but the last one I bought was about 6 years ago, so maybe they've gone up a tad. Worth every penny though! If you have trouble, I'll find a link for you!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Just found these,they dog have leg sleves but it says...

"The Obtrack™ Skrylle was originally designed for dogs who do agility and sled training, to keep the muscles warm after training, much like an athlete puts on a tracksuit top after competing in a race, but is just at home on a mountain top, long walk or a run in the park.
Unlike most dog coats, the Obtrack™ Skrylle comes in 21 sizes, and Its unique design ensures that it will fit virtually every dog perfectly, it has adjustments on the neck, chest and around the girth.

The Obtrack™ Skrylle is made from a very special material called Polartec® Power Shield™ which is state of the art fleece with a shell outer. It is highly breathable, gives warmth without the traditional weight and bulk, blocks 98% of the wind, allowing 2% through to cool the dog, and it sheds rain and snow."

http://www.ekmpowershop3.com/ekmps/s...sizes-22-p.asp
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2008, 03:41 PM
My Cairns don't need a coat against the cold, but when it's pouring down with rain I have barber jackets for them to wear as it saves getting their coats wet through.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
This is the one I bought, and I had 3 of them over the years, couldn't fault them! The bigger the dog, the higher the price I suppose, coz mine was always £50, but worth every penny the hard work it saved me!

http://www.countrymun.com/general/all-in-one-dog-suit
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
This is the one I bought, and I had 3 of them over the years, couldn't fault them! The bigger the dog, the higher the price I suppose, coz mine was always £50, but worth every penny the hard work it saved me!

http://www.countrymun.com/general/all-in-one-dog-suit
They look really good. Do they have wee holes in them?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
They look really good. Do they have wee holes in them?
is this the Royal wee, the scottish wee or the wet wee?

I can recommend these as they are very hard-wearing and don`t retain water.
http://www.gillrugs.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >