Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Rant.....long

Ok, so this was really my fault but just had really bad walk

Just been round the lake with my two, it is not that long a walk so usually go round twice.

First time round met a few dogs all fine, carried on. Passed a large group of gogs (about 6) all fine or so I thought, walked past then seconds later one of theirs ran back and had a go at my rescue girl.
Only lasted a second, she wasnt hurt but I was annoyed and this really got her back up.

Anyway went on, second time round the lake, all quiet for while. But then there was this collie x dog quite far away minding its own business playing with a ball.
My girl ran (sprinted over) looked quite scary actually) had a bark at it - did not bite it but she looked like she was going to). she then came back. The other owners said "get it away or I will boot it"
She has NEVER done this before.

Of course I said sorry to the other people.
They were not impressed which I totally understand.
But I am sure this was all because of the dog that had a go at her 15 mins before.

Of course I said I was really sorry to owners who were not impressed understandibly but no need to boot my dog, she did come back to call straight after.

In hindsight I should have been more weary as she has had a dodgy past but she is normally such a sweet girl and has great recall.

I just feel like cr*p and a really irresponsible dog owner today
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Personally i wouldnt worry.
Jo did exactly the same to a Labrador today. She ran up to it barked in its face and came back when i called.
I knew she wouldnt "have a go".
The owner was fine.
"giving the dog a boot" is a bit harsh IMO. If she ran up snarling and attacking fair enough.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 02:59 PM
My Mum's dog Bizkit does this all the time. She 'buzzes' other dogs, runs up has a good yell then runs back.

It's a difficult behaviour to predict or curb. She doesn't do it when she's with me or my dogs, but only if she's with my Mum... Mum is afraid of strange dogs due to being badly bitten a couple of years back, so I think Biz feels she has to protect her, where clearly my dogs and I can look after ourselves!

It is a nervous behaviour which I'm sure will go away as she has more good and confident encounters with other dogs, but is likely to resurface as soon as she feels threatened or anxious again.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Aaaw I don't think you are an irresponsible dog owner. As you say she is usually so sweet natured, it was only because that other dog had had a go at her that made her grumpy. No need to put the boot in
You apologised, what more could you do, there was no harm done.
Put it behind you now and chin up
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Honey, it's happened - put it behind you and continue the good work with your dog.

Forget it now - beating yourself up is just negative and gets you nowhere.

Hugs x0x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 04:03 PM
they probably only said that in the heat of the moment because they were worried. I wouldn't dwell on it.
Your girl did no damage and came back. She's still a good girl, just temporarily rattled.
Do your best to forget it before your next walk, and I'm sure she'll be fine.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks all so much!
Its just when you feel irresponsible and like "one of the type of dog owners other people hate", lol, and I try so hard to be a good dog owner - cheesy i know