Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Fear of dogs

I've had dogs for most of my life - a variety of breeds and sizes. I've never noticed so much dog-fear as seems to exist these days.

I found it really humourous recently that the builders and workmen in and out of the house have been wary and always joking about the dogs. But they've never actually seems really scared.

As the house is in disarray, to say the least, has stuff everywhere and is covered in masonry and dust, the dogs have been moved into the lounge. Satch is crated for much of the day (except evenings) and Soph just lies in her bed.

Today we had a chap from Telewest in to connect a second phone line. The line will be upstairs, but he had to fiddle with the box (?) in the lounge. So I moved Satch and his crate to a different corner and put Soph in bed. I asked Telewest-man if he was ok with dogs and he said no - didn't ask what size, what breed or if they bit, just flat out "no". So I went in with him and held onto Soph's collar just in case she waddled a glacial speed in his general direction. I also made a point of explaining that Satch was crated, not due to any kind of aggression, but that he doesn't understand the concept of strangers, thinks everyone's his best mate and is likely to lick people to death. Telewest-man seemed unconvinced and unamused.

There was plenty of room to get to where he needed to be without Satch licking him through the crate, but no, he walked gingerly past, arms raised above his head, just in case the beast of bodmin developed opposable thumbs and released himself from his crate. Now, I know Satch is a big dog, but he's not exactly massive and doesn't really look 8st - and he was secured in his crate, and lying down the whole time.

Now I understand some people don't like dogs, and I understand some people have a genuine phobia. But I offered to put the dogs in the car (last remaining safe place for them) while he worked and he said it was ok, he'd be fine with the dogs in the lounge. And it's not like I had dogs bouncing round him the whole time or pinning him in the corner! One was wagging his tail inside his (shut) crate, the other was comatose in her bed with me holding her collar - not the most terrifying of situations, surely??

Is it just me or do more and more people seem to have an unnatural fear of dogs? During this kitchen extension we've had tons of different workmen in - I've lost count, but probably 20+ - surely not all of them have had bad experiences with dogs in their past to justify this?

Becs
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 11:53 AM
since moving back here, 3 of my friends are scared of dogs!
one is absolutely terrified! she was bitten when she was younger, and wont go near scruffy (bichon) let alone the other 2! she will take a long route home if she see's a dog even on the other side of the road!

another friend lives at home still and has dogs. but she doesnt like them!

and another, well, i dont know why she is scared of dogs, cos she was almost going to take scruffy on 5 yrs ago (long story), but when she came around the other week, i had to shut indie away cos she was scared??

i know so many people who are scared of dogs, its strange, and mostly its young kids and teenagers
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I know what you mean, its a sad fact but our world as we know it is growing more and more non dog friendly

What a stupid man, some people do exagerate somewhat, fair enough if they are afriad, but you did offer to put the dogs in the car, so he cant complain *sigh*

I personally cant imagine anyone not liking dogs or being scared of them, but i know some people are its just because im such a dog lover i find it hard to be around people with a dislike of dogs.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 11:58 AM
I Have Three Dogs Myself But If Im Out With My Dogs And See A Dog With No Lead On Or With No One I Get Scared Then. :smt102
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2005, 12:00 PM
It is the oddest thing.

My sister's boyfriend is really scared of dogs, he hides behind my sister if he sees a dog going past. (he's 5 10, my sister is only 4 foot 12)

When my sister and my mum came up to meet Saffy at the weeked he just went for a walk rather then come up to the house.

I've asked if there is any reason for it but he just doesn't like dogs

Aileen x
Soph
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2005, 12:05 PM
We take Lottie (very small lab x golden) into shops as she's a trainee guide dog and she is well known in our local Co-op. Always has her blue jacket on and the flash on her lead. However the other week there was a new person on the till, and when she saw us coming - I am not kidding - she ran away from behind the counter and went into the stock room. Someone else had to come and serve us.

Now all I feel is sorry for this woman as obviously she has a real phobia - but it made me wonder, what did she see when she looked at Lottie? Most people see an Andrex puppy - she must have seen a slavering monster who might have somehow leapt over the counter and attacked her. But then I thought, I can't stand spiders, can't bear to touch them, and that's much more illogical! Especially in this country where none of them can do me any harm.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 01:13 PM
eeek i had spiders too! if i worked in a shop and someone walked up with a tarantula id run away too!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Although she was brought up on a farm around working dogs my mother was not very sure around dogs as she was attacked by a GSD when she was around 15....then I got my Stafford needless to say all that changed lol. She is now quite happy for the dogs to launch themselves at her (staffy style) when she comes through the door or when I am staying at hers she often tells me to go out & enjoy myself and offers to look after them, nice to see her so confident around dogs again.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I SOMETIMES think people overreact for attention.

When I worked at a pub in Cobham, the owners had a German Shepherd (white). She was big and beautiful and soft as a lamb. Late one night, close to closing, a big group of people came in. Jezzebel (the dog) was calmly standing next to me behind the bar counter. This women went hysterical. Made such a fuss, and only calmed down when we had locked up poor Jezebel and all the men were around the her to hear her talk like a damsel in distress. Honestly, it was pathetic, and I battled to hide how I felt about it. Get over yourself!