Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Breeder or Rescue?

Following on from the Pedigree or X thread. I`ve only ever had one dog from the Breeder. All the others are/ were rescue or rehome. I had problems with my Breeder pup and also challenges with the Rescues so can`t see much difference there. I find Rescues great because you can see their nature blossom and they`re very appreciative (having experience of bad times I suppose).
Which have you chosen?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2008, 11:02 AM
All of mine have been from Breeder or private rehome
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:04 AM
We have done both really. Cosmo is the first one that was from a specific breeder that I had chosen. I have been so lucky in that she is fantastic and responsible and now a friend(I think!) Infact we are meeting up with her and a few of his litter mates later in the year for a big walk and get together! I would happily and readily get my next dog from her and have been warned if I wnat another FCR (like I wouldn't!) I had better get it from her.

That said we almost adopted a pointer X over the summer from a rescue centre...I don't think there is a right or wrong as long as the decision isn't made lightly.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:05 AM
We have had 5 dogs in my lifetime..

2 when I was young..unregd Cocker from the breeder and an unregd GSD from the breeder

Seiko my first dog in my own house came from a breeder
Cruiser from a breeder
Lola from rescue
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Mostly, we've gone to rescues. My BC, Pip, was my first private rehome, and 'Ella was privately rehomed to us from a lady who was going to take her to a rescue at the end of the week had no one wanted her But generally, I prefer the idea of giving a rescue dog a good home, helping the rescue continue their good work, and freeing up a space for another dog in need.

Saying that, if I wanted a purebred dog, I would probably find a reputable breeder unless we could find what we wanted in a rescue... although I would no doubt see all those sad eyes, forget about the purebreed and come home with another mutt
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:21 AM
well i have only owned one dog myself and that is my rescue Bruno, who i adore, comes with his problems but as soon as he arrived a little scared bundle - i adored him, he just felt right.

I had asked for a well behaved staffie !! - so ven although I didnt get one he has been a challenge but i wouldnt have it any other way !

i feel we were lucky to have bruno in our life.

MY granny always had rescue GSD's growing up and she only ever had one that was a bit mental - Shane used to jump on to the bird table and sit on it ( it was quiet big but 6 ft off the ground) he would sit on the table and lunge as the birds went past !

My hubby had a rottie from breeder growing up and she was a great dog, so unless we have been very lucky, both experiences of breeder and rescues have been excellent.

But fo rme it would always be rescue, also because I am not bothered about puppy training etc - I would rather take on an older dog.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:32 AM
no contest - rescue every time.

My first girl was the world's best - and she was a rescue.
Bought as a present for a new baby (!) teased by the kids, hit and abused and left for dead at 18 months old.
She only ever had love for me and hubby - she was our world, we were hers.

In her memory, we rehomed another rescue when she passed and that's how we got Missy.
Bought as a companion for an old lady, straight into rescue when she'd passed - and there she stayed til we came for her two years later.

Breaks my heart to see how many treat dogs as disposable - they don't ask to be born, they don't ask to be treated so poorly - and still they give so much love to anyone who helps them.
Sadly many never get that chance, and are put to sleep.

So, any time I want another dog - it will be a rescue.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:33 AM
All my own dogs (rather than family dogs) have been rescue and they have all been lovely, though have had issues to address.

Rightly or wrongly I always imagine that some of the reasons why all mine have bonded so strongly with me so quickly is (1) the amount of time they spent in the shelter and (2) how much of an improvement they felt living with us was over their previous life.

I'm not so sure I would get a private rehome as often in that case, the dog may have been quite happy in its previous home and would not have voluntarily given it up. Not that these dogs won't bond with their new owners in time, but I guess I've just got addicted to the feeling of helping the ones that have not had the best of lives.

ETA
Just realised - didn't comment on getting one from a breeder. For me, probably won't (never say never) . But then that's because I love bcs and there are no shortage of them in rescue. If I had fallen for another breed where that wasn't the case, I might have answered differently.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 11:37 AM
my next dogs will be from well researched breeders.

i do have a slight fear of dogs that i dont know the history of and i dont think that i could rescue a older dog as im just not that expereinced a owner yet to deal with any problems that it may have been through.

i would worry that i would do something wrong like maybe it didnt like being touched in a certain way and i did that and it would attack me, maybe its a silly fear as all the dogs i have been around, even ones which have been horredously treated, they have all been fine with me, some actually come to me and one owner was really shocked as the dog was so feaful it didnt like strangers and was beaten by its last owner and bred on every season and it was deaf but it came right up to me and wouldnt leave me alone she was gobsmacked as it normally run away and hid, i gave her a nice stroke/massage and she loved it and didnt want me to leave! such a gorgeous dog!

so maybe i put the fear into the unknown myself....sorry just having a bit of a revalation here!

anyway! in the future i would love to think that i could give a rescue dog a good home, but i need to get my expereince up to be able to do that, so a pup/breeder for me right now, but hopefully in the future i can rescue one myself!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
All my own dogs (rather than family dogs) have been rescue and they have all been lovely, though have had issues to address.

Rightly or wrongly I always imagine that some of the reasons why all mine have bonded so strongly with me so quickly is (1) the amount of time they spent in the shelter and (2) how much of an improvement they felt living with us was over their previous life.

I'm not so sure I would get a private rehome as often in that case, the dog may have been quite happy in its previous home and would not have voluntarily given it up. Not that these dogs won't bond with their new owners in time, but I guess I've just got addicted to the feeling of helping the ones that have not had the best of lives.
Funnily enough I would always go for a private rehome rather than a rescue. Let's face it if they can't rehome it privately it's going to end up in rescue anyway. I thought most dogs in rescue were given up voluntarily so it cuts out the middle man. That said I wouldn't recommend it to a novice owner, it helps to have had lots of experience, of people and dogs.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »