Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 02:26 PM

crating dogs together

I made a thread a while ago about the puppy parties I help out at.. Well, last night a family was there with two young staffie pups. They were talking to the guy who runs the club about crate training, and the woman asked if it would be okay for them to be left in the same crate while she's out, and he said 'yes it'll be fine, because they're a pack'.
so you'll have two intact male staffies unsupervised in a very restricted space. i hope i'm wrong but does that sound.. well, like a really stupid idea to anyone else?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
er...totally?! How young are these pups btw? Wouldn't be long before you would need a bl00dy big crate to keep 2 happy healthy little staffs in...

JMO but i like the idea of crating to mainly be about each dog having some of its own space. Maybe that's just me though!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
two males, one crate, sounds like stupid advice to me, particularly if they are left unattended.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
My dogs all know they are a "Unit" so have a certain value of being a "pack" but the smallest i would stick them all together in is my HUGE car boot and certainly not unattended. There would be carnage!!! Not that any of them are vicious but they like their own space as well and can also be a naughty influence on each other
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
I made a thread a while ago about the puppy parties I help out at.. Well, last night a family was there with two young staffie pups. They were talking to the guy who runs the club about crate training, and the woman asked if it would be okay for them to be left in the same crate while she's out, and he said 'yes it'll be fine, because they're a pack'.
so you'll have two intact male staffies unsupervised in a very restricted space. i hope i'm wrong but does that sound.. well, like a really stupid idea to anyone else?
Totally agree,
I'm shocked
Very stupid advice,keeping two entire males can be risky anyway with SBT's but to keep them in crate together well I'm speechess
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
er...totally?! How young are these pups btw? Wouldn't be long before you would need a bl00dy big crate to keep 2 happy healthy little staffs in...

JMO but i like the idea of crating to mainly be about each dog having some of its own space. Maybe that's just me though!
they're under 10 weeks i think, they haven't had their 2nd vaccs yet anyway.
i think i might try to have a word with the owner if/when she comes back. the trouble is that the people who run it are both head nurses (i think) and i'm just some young-and-inexperienced-looking person who sits in the corner and stops the pups escaping
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I wouldnt advise it, I have no problems with my males in small spaces together, but I still wouldnt crate them together,, I had tegan and Kaos as pups, only six weeks age diff between them, but even with a dog and bitch I gave them there own cage, its also a good way of giving them time away from one another, its never a good idea for two pups to be too dependant on each other
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 04:19 PM
oooh a big no no especially when quality dog crates can be bought quite cheaply
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
I would never ever crate them together and I think it was very foolish advice.
2 crates side by side will let them be together without any squabbles.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
when I have puppys in a crate, I normaly have fun stuff in there, chewys, whatever makes them happy to spend time in there, HAD I put both pups in, Tegan would have just been a bully and taken all kaos's nice stuff,

It was hard enough stopping her going in and robbing kaos's nice stuff when the crates were open through the day
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >