Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Pros and cons of snip?

Kato is booked in Thursday morning for the snip, ne needs some sexual healing
He is more and more in the mood for love and is trying to ride my black lab who is getting increasingly grumpy. Now having to have had to re-home my springer after 4 years of them fighting I want to avoid any issues like this again as broke our hearts.

He is a 9 month old Northern Inuit, I have spoke to my vet and said its fine but whats your personal experience, good idea or bad?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi, these documents might help you decide......

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

http://www.vomfelsenhof.com/spayneuter.html

Whilst I can understand you might be inclined to neuter early for other reasons, for a male, the minority view is to neuter no earlier than 2 years - or when he reaches maturity if later as with some breeds. This is because the testosterone is needed for proper bone development. Without testosterone, the joints are compromised.

There was a study of 1444 Golden Retrievers performed in 1998 and 1999 which found bitches and dogs spayed and neutered at less than a year of age to be significantly taller than those spayed or neutered at more than a year of age.

The sex hormones, by communicating with a number of other growth-related hormones, promote the closure of the growth plates at puberty, so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow.

Dogs that have been spayed or neutered well before puberty can frequently be identified by their longer limbs, lighter bone structure, narrow chests and narrow skulls. This abnormal growth frequently results in significant alterations in body proportions and particularly the lengths (and therefore weights) of certain bones relative to others. For example, if the femur has achieved its genetically determined normal length at 8 months when a dog gets spayed or neutered, but the tibia, which normally stops growing at 12 to 14 months of age continues to grow, then an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle. In addition, with the extra growth, the lower leg below the stifle likely becomes heavier (because it is longer), and may cause increased stresses on the cranial cruciate ligament.

In addition, sex hormones are critical for achieving peak bone density.
Here's the full article: http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

I would also say there are alot of people who say neutering can fix behaviour problems, although personally, I think it is a myth.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 05:31 PM
He is booked in Thursday but something niggling me, its just his sexual urge apart from that he is perfect. And his brother has severe hip dysplasia at 9 months and facong major ops,
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I have never had a male dog but I know my vet recommends an injection which mimics castration but only lasts a certain length of time . This is to see if the behaviour will be altered by castration . I don't even know what it is called or if there are side effects but maybe it's something you could discuss with your vet ?
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I had Noah castrated at 10 months as firstly he was cryptorchid... he was also causing friction with my bitch and cocking his leg inside the house, which he no longer does.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
He is booked in Thursday but something niggling me, its just his sexual urge apart from that he is perfect. And his brother has severe hip dysplasia at 9 months and facong major ops,
I do know how you feel, my boy was the most amazing escape artist and it was hard to put up with that for 2 years, but we did it and I have no regrets doing it.

I was determined not to neuter him before - I feel us human's are far too ready to reach for a pill or scalpel to fix "problems" that are just natural. Equate it to teenage boys if you will!!

If your female is none too pleased, then is it possible to separate them when unsupervised, and distract him with toys or training when you are around?

Was his brother with dysplasia neutered early? There are an awful lot of causes of dysplasia not just hereditary though.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Are you talking Castration or a snipping of the tubes to stop a dog being able to procreate?

IMO dogs should not be castrated unless there is some good reason, therefore if you have good reason it is the thing to do.

As to the snip if you have a bitch and are unable to separate them this would be a good way to go stop the ability to procreate but leave his hormonal system intact.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about the refererence quoted above.
It has come up before and I was going to examine it but someone beat me to it. Basically all the cons re bone changes are misunderstandings of the data that is out there.

http://www.sheltermedicine.com/docum...20rebuttal.doc

I forget her conclusions regarding behavior but I suspect sexually derived behavior will probably be moderated if not removed.

Anyway from the quick read of the thread I would think that a castration may well be the best option.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Our family dog was done very early, before 7 months, and he has a great temperament, coat, bones etc....no healthy issues and he is now 12 years old.

My last dog was castrated at ten years old, and we never had any issues with him. I do not know if it changed his personality as i only met him after his castration. In his previous homes he strayed regularly but we never had a problem with that. ...who knows whether this was due to the castration or just being happy in his new home.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Why not try "Tardak" or "Suprelorin" first? Then if you like the effects, once it has worn off, go for the permanent option. Id be tempted to let him mature a bit before making a serious decision.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >