View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Kennel Club Accredited Breeders Scheme - Unsure wether to join or not.

I'm wondering wether to become a KC accredited breeder. when it was first introduced tbh it wasn't worth the paper it was written on and I decided not to bother.
However with the aftermath of the BBC programme, I'm reconsidering.
My questions are

If you were buying a puppy would you prefer to by from an accredited breeder?

How do you percieve the AB scheme?

Does anyione thing the breeders contract will have more weight with the Kc as an AB?

Ive just mated Libby and the pups (hopefully )will be due to go to there new homes at the beginning of December.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2008, 12:09 PM
whats the point of the ABS when all you need to say is that NO dog breeders will be KC reg UNLESS they have health (and if poss) temperament tested the bitch.

they do it in Scandinavian countries, its easy
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 12:16 PM
To be honest, I lost all faith in the scheme when a GSP breeder bought my house a couple of years ago. I then discovered that she was a puppy farmer, she advertised that she was on this scheme, she was churning out litter after litter of several different breeds.

I just thought that they can't be that fussed about who is on their scheme, just another way for them to make money out of the breeders, as if they didn't get their fair share already.

Maybe things have changed recently, I don't keep tabs on anything like that these days. But, in answer to your original question, I wouldn't have a preference in purchasing from an accredited breeder, it would still depend on the lineage, health checks and what the pups were like.

Hope that helps. Sheree x
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
whats the point of the ABS when all you need to say is that NO dog breeders will be KC reg UNLESS they have health (and if poss) temperament tested the bitch.

they do it in Scandinavian countries, its easy
Your missing the point entirely. To be a KC accredited breeder all your dogs need to have all the relevant heath tests for your breed and be microchipped, which mine are.
I'm not asking for a debate on the ethics of the KC thats beed done to death over the last few days.
I'm asking if the GP will be more likely to buy a puppy from an AB?
Thans Sheeree that used to be our thinking as well but we're wondering how much publicity the tv prog had and if it might make a diffence to a puppy buyer.
Most of us in dogs are aware its a waste of tome not sure the GP do though
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
To be honest, I lost all faith in the scheme when a GSP breeder bought my house a couple of years ago. I then discovered that she was a puppy farmer, she advertised that she was on this scheme, she was churning out litter after litter of several different breeds.

I just thought that they can't be that fussed about who is on their scheme, just another way for them to make money out of the breeders, as if they didn't get their fair share already.

Maybe things have changed recently, I don't keep tabs on anything like that these days. But, in answer to your original question, I wouldn't have a preference in purchasing from an accredited breeder, it would still depend on the lineage, health checks and what the pups were like.

Hope that helps. Sheree x
Dito, I just dont think the AB scheme goes far enough yet to make it a stamp of quality,
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Your missing the point entirely. To be a KC accredited breeder all your dogs need to have all the relevant heath tests for your breed and be microchipped, which mine are.
I'm not asking for a debate on the ethics of the KC thats beed done to death over the last few days.
I'm asking if the GP will be more likely to buy a puppy from an AB?
Thans Sheeree that used to be our thinking as well but we're wondering how much publicity the tv prog had and if it might make a diffence to a puppy buyer.
Most of us in dogs are aware its a waste of tome not sure the GP do though
I know what an accredited breeder is, i was just saying that if the same rules applied to ALL breeders, you wouldnt have the dilemma in the first place. I havent been aware of the other threads, too busy watching The Olympics. If it does what it says on the tin, i think the average GP would prefer a pup from a scheme that requires compulsory health testing, as i think the show made them more aware.
But the average GP would also still say "why not get everyone to do it, what's the big deal"
I think some GP wont touch any pup with any KC labeling now, as one would have to ask how can we trust that the ABS does what is says, when the KC has been shown to be generally untrustworthy and unethical anyway.
It's all a good sales angle for the Pet Lovers Reg scheme (or whatever that is called) as the gap between practice and ethics between the both has just been "seen" to become paper thin in the minds of the GP.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 01:21 PM
The reason this has come about is Lola from the lastr litters for sale and I've had two enquiries asking if the pups are KC and if I'm a AB.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2008, 01:33 PM
id go for it then. but i think that their will now be a drop in the number of people that are attracted to breeders with any sort of KC accreditation. that would only go up if the KC suddenly announced, like right now, why the issue is still fresh in GP minds, that EVERY breeder that applies for KC reg from now on wont get it unless all health test are done and proven, and then only accepted if those health tests pass.
then make a huge PR campaign about this

I dont know if this will equal less puppies bought (i hope so, as the supply way outstrips demand in the UK, too many unwanted dogs already) or secondly, it means that while KC reg demand drops Pet Lovers Reg, puppy farm, designer crossbreed and byb increases (i hope not), or thirdly, rescue centre demand increases (i hope so)

Having said all that, hasn't scorpio just said the ABS is just a sham anyway?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Not sure about it being a scam I do knwo that originally you needed a DNA profile but now there asking for microchip numbers instead. Also as the KC gets all copies of the health tests I'm assuming you cant join if you dont health test.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I think the whole thing falls flat on its face without DNA profiles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >