Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Raw diet variety

Bryan has totally gone off turkey now. He'll eat chicken wings, but no other part of the chicken. And he won't eat rabbit either. I'm a bit miffed that he won't eat chicken as I can get it cheap (snarf!), but he's never been that keen on it. I'm battling with him to get him to eat the last bit of turkey mince, but I think my foster dog will end up getting it if he doesn't eat it tonight (it's going to go stinky soon).

So I'm giving him beef (mince, heart, kidney, liver, ox tail, brisket), pork (chops, ribs, kidney, liver, he won't eat pork heart), lamb (chops, mince, heart, ribs, kidney, liver) and whole mackerel.

Is this enough variety do you think? Obviously he doesn't get all this in a week (he's only little), but that's his total menu.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like he's getting a good bit of variety. Perhaps stick the stuff he's not keen on back in the freezer and feed it sometime in the future after a smaller than usual feed the day before.

It's a shame for your pocket that he'll not eat chicken; but chicken ain't an essential part of the diet. I hear alot of dogs don't like rabbit, it's quite a lean meat.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Yup Ben munches most mince with gusto but rabbit is just eaten but not really enjoyed - usualy mix up some tripe in there too
Sounds like you have a really good mix there - I am sure he will be fine
TBH most people say chicken aint that important - its just cheep - but in the wild wolves would be more for the big prey - so red meat is more natural
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I've just given my three some Prize Choice minced beef.

Lennon has walked away from it - and it's got his anti-b in it - aaarrrggghhh!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys. TBH when I was writing out the list of what I feed him I thought to myself 'That's a lot of variety - what are you worrying for?'

Managed to score a few lamb hearts that were reduced in Morissons. I wonder if anyone actually eats them or if it's just me that buys tem for Bryan?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I often think that about the more exotic things I buy!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Managed to score a few lamb hearts that were reduced in Morissons. I wonder if anyone actually eats them or if it's just me that buys them for Bryan?
Lol, somebody out there eats them.... The butcher told me that people order in those pigs heads I get to roast and eat themselves. Personally I'd pass on those...

I've just given my three some Prize Choice minced beef.

Lennon has walked away from it - and it's got his anti-b in it - aaarrrggghhh!
The ******s always manage to sniff out medicines, don't they!!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
It wouldn't be very amusing to go round to a friend's house for tea and see a roasted pig's head staring at you from the middle of the table!

I get Bryan breast of lamb as well and can't understand how you would cook it for a human to eat - doesn't seem to be that much meat on it.

Bryan enjoys it anyway
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd be totally freaked if I seen a pigs head on the table looking back at me for dinner!!!!! Anything that can look back at me is off the menu for me.

The kids had lobster yesterday for dinner. I was totally sick trying to handle the darn thing. They really freak me out, shrimps more so though. Archie and Willow had a few of the legs off it. Never again!
*Shudder*