Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Bonnie's acting up again

I'm having a problem with Bonnie, my Beardie X. she has started to attack Hector(Leonberger) when he gets excited or on the odd occasion he runs about.

she will lunge at him biting and growling then jump up in his face stopping him. she will do this when were out and i put her staight back on her lead leaving Hector off his.

she has now started doing it at home. the other night she stood in the kitchen watching him, he was moth catching. she ran out the door growling and bit him, no harm was done as he has a thick coat to protect him.

he is now getting depressed with all this and it needs to stop NOW before he gets to the point of biting back.

what can i do?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Is it over excited play or genuine aggression? How does your Leo react?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Don't know how, but I think I know why! She thinks he's getting too much attention and she's attention seeking, she might even be jealous that he's getting so much attention. Maybe without knowing it, ARE you giving him a bit more attention than her? I really don't know how to stop it, coz I've never had this problem with any of my couples together On the one hand, you could opt for giving HER a lot more attention, but then again would that make her worse possibly? On the other hand you could ignore her and give HIM a lot more attention in front of her and tell her off if she attempts to barge in, but then is that fair on her? I really don't have a clue quite honestly, but you're right, you have to get to the bottom of this before it ends in a full scale war! Is she a bit spoilt?? Maybe he should be the one to tell her off? Dogs normally do that on their own don't they, but he's a big softy by the sounds of it! Bless him, the things these guys have to put up with when they've got another bitch for company, I sympathise with him, I've seen it with Cassie and Georgie, but never like this though, just verbal!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Is it over excited play or genuine aggression? How does your Leo react?

she stops play by doing this. she does bite out quite a bit of fur as well, good job he has a thick coat.

its almost as tho' she doesnt want him to play or get excited. even if someone tries to fuss them when we're out she tries to bite him.

H turns his head away from her and drops his head and walks next to me. he will not do anything to tell her off, he never has even when she was a pup.
BUT...he has started to growl at other dogs if they bark/growl at him first.
if he did retaliate with her i dread to think what could happen
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Don't know how, but I think I know why! She thinks he's getting too much attention and she's attention seeking, she might even be jealous that he's getting so much attention. Maybe without knowing it, ARE you giving him a bit more attention than her? I really don't know how to stop it, coz I've never had this problem with any of my couples together On the one hand, you could opt for giving HER a lot more attention, but then again would that make her worse possibly? On the other hand you could ignore her and give HIM a lot more attention in front of her and tell her off if she attempts to barge in, but then is that fair on her? I really don't have a clue quite honestly, but you're right, you have to get to the bottom of this before it ends in a full scale war! Is she a bit spoilt?? Maybe he should be the one to tell her off? Dogs normally do that on their own don't they, but he's a big softy by the sounds of it! Bless him, the things these guys have to put up with when they've got another bitch for company, I sympathise with him, I've seen it with Cassie and Georgie, but never like this though, just verbal!
she gets the same attention as H, maybe more from my son. she is a cow to H, i must admit. she is always trying to muscle in when he gets any attention and i have been sending her to her bed until i call her.

its a tho' he cant enjoy himself with her there and its getting him down, and me as well.

i need to sort this now as its affecting H. if i cant then a new home might be worth considering. but thats worse case senario.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 06:52 PM
bonnie has now escalated it to biting his head. this is causing him to yelp in pain.

i'm now really considering rehoming her as whatever i do it still happens. maybe she needs a home without another dog.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Have you recently taken Bonnie on then? Sorry, but I don't know whether she's a new additon to your household? If she is, then yes, I'm afraid I would have to consider that too, you can't have her upsetting your H like this, and if you're not stopping it, it might get worse? I know I've only ever had one rescue so far, but my first priority was that it should get on with my existing dog, otherwise he'd have to go, and that will apply with my next rescue too! Hector was there first, and he seems to be the one suffering, through no fault of his own. Sorry if this sounds harsh, I wish I could help you out, but you must have been trying very hard to eliminate this problem to no avail, so what other choice do you have? Persevere for even longer, when there's a chance poor Hector might get hurt, or even attack Bonnie in his frustration, even dogs must get to the enough is enough stage mustn't they?

Maybe someone can come up with some more help, but I'm afraid I would be thinking along the same lines as you, but as I said, I don't know the circumstances in which Bonnie came into your household and for how long she's even been there? So sorry it's come to this though, I know how hard you must have been trying with it.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 07:37 PM
she's been with us since she was 9 weeks old(she's now 2yrs).

i have tried the muzzle to stop this behaviour, which it did for months,then i stopped using it and she still behaved but she has got to the stage where she knows his head is his weak spot and has targeted it big time. this is in the house and out on walks.

i know she's a herding breed but she is biting not nipping, and the biting is getting harder.
i'm just worried that it could escalate into a serious injury on H.
he will not retaliate, which in a way i'm pleased, but if he did then she might stop.

this is a real dilema now.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi hectors mum. Is there maybe a chance that Bonnie is trying to instigate play?? I'm having the same problem in a different capacity at the mo with my female leo and pup gsd - he latches onto her back legs if he is not grabbing her by the throat and growling. She puts up with it also - i am forever trying to seperate him from her, lol. It could also be that they are 2 different energy type dogs? Leos are fairly laid back whereas gsd or bc are very active, high energy. Do they get exercised together/seperate or both? I'm having to remember to take pup out seperate also as he has more energy to burn.

In my case i'm worried maybe pup isn't being mentally/physically stimulated enough - might it be that in your case at all?

Sorry not much help - just hoping it works out.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
Hi hectors mum. Is there maybe a chance that Bonnie is trying to instigate play?? I'm having the same problem in a different capacity at the mo with my female leo and pup gsd - he latches onto her back legs if he is not grabbing her by the throat and growling. She puts up with it also - i am forever trying to seperate him from her, lol. It could also be that they are 2 different energy type dogs? Leos are fairly laid back whereas gsd or bc are very active, high energy. Do they get exercised together/seperate or both? I'm having to remember to take pup out seperate also as he has more energy to burn.

In my case i'm worried maybe pup isn't being mentally/physically stimulated enough - might it be that in your case at all?

Sorry not much help - just hoping it works out.

she stops play thats the problem and she hurts Hector.

on to the good news, i put the muzzle back on today and we met up with another dog, hector went loopy, bonnie tried to bite him, but she couldnt and hector knew and loved it. he played for ages
she wasnt impressed but me and hector were estatic.

its the way to go now.

thanks to everyone who has helped.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >