View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2008, 01:10 PM

So what do you do when you decide to leave home..

Not for now, or the close future as finanically i'm not secure enough yet and my priorities lie devoting my finance and time to other things-plus the fact im not ready yet to go inde-domestic! but admittadly in the not too distant future there will be a time of which I will be leaving this house, and the question will be..do I take the dogs?
What did you all do when you left home? Take or leave?
In all fairness, the two dogs..and to some extent the three cats but I think theyd prefer to stay in the house they were born in which has a fair bit of open space around it, are my pets rather than family; i brought them, pay for the upkeep etc. So would you take them? Did you take yours?
In general this is a hypothetical thread but will be interested to see your responses!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
When we left home last year we wanted to take my Husky with us. She was 8 nearly 9 at the time but my Mum said no she was the 'family dog'. She also felt it would be mean to leave her on her own in the house all day when she was used to having my Nan and her dog around. Now we did all the training with her we took her out for walks and my Nan has her dog with her all day while Kiska is locked in the kitchen. My Mum and Dad don't take her for walks and we have our own dogs too look after (we try and take her out as much as possible) so she hardly goes out.

Yes it will be a change of house and it may be a bit stressful at first but i would always say take them with you if you have the room and they will be safe.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:22 PM
My mum did not allow me to take Sadie, but she was more the 'family' dog than mine. I took my cat though. Had her since I was 8.
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Oscar is mine. I do want to leave home eventually. I hope to find a place where I could take him with me. Failing that, I know my mum would want him. I'd try my VERY hardest to keep Oscar wherever I moved to.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I think I'd take Jobie when the time comes. He's the family dog in name but he's more attached to me than to everyone else, presumably because I'm where the food comes from that's how it stands at the moment anyway, to be honest I'm sure he won't live that long. If we were to get another dog after he's popped his clogs it would depend on if they're a clingy b*gger like him or not
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 02:10 PM
thats a hard one, if it is a family doglet and everyone shared the time then i guess i would say leave but if it was my dog that i did every thing for then i would take. it is all down to what is going to happen, if i was working and there was no one for the dog then i would leave at home with family but visit lots.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
To be honest i think it would greatly depend on the family i was leaving the dog/s behind with - i know mine would have been devestated if i had taken my pets with me and i knew they would have a happier life at that time with them.
My husband and i had to make the decision all over again when we ended up moving back in with my mother in law at one point. We ended up leaving our terrier with her when we moved out as the mother in law was besotted with her, had plenty of space and time to devote to her and the terrier had totally bonded with her dogs. We felt it was best for the dog for her to stay.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I think the decision needs to be made in the best interests of the dog. If you`re going to be at home and have time to care for the dog, fine - but if you`re going to be working 9-5 and having a social life as well, it probably will be best to leave the dog where it is. Everyone`s circumstances are different - I`m sure you`ll make the right choice. BTW I`m most impressed to hear of someone`s son moving out. I`ve been trying to get rid of mine for years!
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
when I moved in with my boyfriend/now husband of 18 years, I left my Cairn and HuskyX and 3 cats with my parents as they had lived there all of their lives and were a part of the family, I didn't feel it was in their best interests to take them with me. I took my 7 month old Husky puppy and my other half had a 3 year old terrier so they had each other for company. I did see them regularly but it was still upsetting leaving them behind but I had to do what was best for them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I think it depends on many things, how do the parents feel about keeping the dog, would the person leaving be able to care for the dog properly time wise etc. Depending on how far you go could you share the dogs, parents have them while you work for example.
I wouldn't have let either of mine have a dog while living at home tbh. even when the eldest moved out and bought a dog with his girlfriend I ended up with the dog.
Although our eldest cat is technically my younger sons, bought for him when he was 10 I can't see him taking him with him when he leaves.
Anyway it took my eldest 2 blimin' years to empty his bedroom after he left so if he'd had a dog it would probably still be here waiting to go.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >