Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dazmax
New Member!
Male 

30-07-2008, 10:19 PM

Stud Fees?

I've been asked to use my Ridgeback for stud.
He is Kennel club registered and has paperwork going back six generations.
Should I just ask for petrol expenses or a small fee?
I've never been in a situation like this and would welcome some advice!
Many thanks.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2008, 12:37 PM
In Belgium the fee is first choice or equivalent in money

Greetings

Johan
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Firstly have you had all the health checks neccessary for your breed? If the answer is yes & you want to go ahead, your dog is not proven so you can't charge as much as a proven sire. Many people with a young dog charge a small amount for the actual service & then a little more if puppies are actually born. I don't understand whatyou mean about petrol as its normal for the bitch to come to the dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I've been asked to use my Ridgeback for stud.
He is Kennel club registered and has paperwork going back six generations.
Should I just ask for petrol expenses or a small fee?
I've never been in a situation like this and would welcome some advice!
Many thanks
Hi I hope you won't mind if I say apart from all the health checks/suitability of your dog to further the breed it should be noted that some dogs having once been used at stud can change and become obsessed with finding bitches in season, not something that most pet owners welcome.

Also it should be remembered that the owners of the dam and sire of any litter are morally responsible for the welfare of any puppies produced . This includes providing for any sick/injured or returned puppies and ensuring they don't find their way into rescues which are already overflowing with unwanted dogs.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Silly question - why is the norm for the bitch to travel to the dog? Is there any technical reason or is that just how its done?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I know its said that most dogs perforn better on their own territory but I don't know why the tradition is there. its not always the case I know I mated one of my bitches about a mile from a Championship show which the stud dog & I were both attending.
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
There is a lot to think about when it comes to mating i.e are the pedigrees of the dogs compatible, the temperment/history of the bitch, is she proven or maiden and health checks (eyes ,Elbows and hips)
if you can talk to someone in the breed and they will help and advise you its not only the bitch but the dog aswell its best to get as much information as you can.
Arctic Ruth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2008, 09:02 AM
If your dog is KC registered does he have an restrictions on him.

If so you will need to speak to your breeder first. Most won't lift restrictions if the health tests have unsatisfactory results. Some won't if the think the bitch or even the dog is not suitable ie not a good representation of the breed!