Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:20 PM

I blame the rescue centre.

We went to Cannon Hill Park today, with the gang, when we got out of the car a old lady was calling and walking around. We suddenly noticed (a very quick glimpse) a Border Collie, then it was gone.
After walking over 2 hours around Cannon Hill, we went to the Coffee Shop and sat outside, beautiful day.

When we got back to the car park, the same old lady was there, still calling, so I enquired if all was ok. Anyway it would seem that they were both in thier early 80's, the husband walked with a stick and was very unsteady on his feet, but was still driving. They told us that they had got this BC (whom I got another quick glimpse of) about three years ago from a rescue.
What a beautiful specimen he was too..........but then she starts telling us that sometimes they have to wait 4 hours before he'll come back to them. I asked if she had treats, which she did, but he pays no attention, his mission in life was to chase squirrels, he just will not go to them (or us). Then the crunch came, as cars come and went he chased the wheels I felt sick I thought he was going under, but they both said, Oh! he's always done that we can not get him to stop
I made a few suggestions like 'is he the right dog for you' etc., and mental stimulation etc.,long line lead etc.,but it was obvious that they both loved the bones of him......but to allow him to take over,I know it's been 3 years since they had him, but fancy a rescue homing a active dog like him to them.
I actually felt quite sorry for them, as there was no way he was coming back, and when we left they were still waiting/calling him.
Apparantly even in the house .....he's boss.
Such a shame to because he was a stunner. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I was concerned about him......especailly where the cars are concern. Lucky they only go very slow there
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh my god, how very sad.

I don't think this couple should have this dog, not at all. They obviously haven't got a clue and for them to have this dog is just not safe, sensible or practical. It's the dog, first and foremost, who is missing out on a stable life.

Why the hell did the rescue centre rehome a young (I assume it's young, going by your description) Border Collie to a couple in their 80s.

Something is going to happen that dog sooner or later. It's only a matter of time. I think I would be having a word with the rescue centre they got the dog from.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Poor lad, and the owners too The lady next door to my nan recently had to take her young terrier pup back to rescue because she couldn't keep up with him. Some rescues need to really get their act together in that respect imo
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh my god, how very sad.

I don't think this couple should have this dog, not at all. They obviously haven't got a clue and for them to have this dog is just not safe, sensible or practical. It's the dog, first and foremost, who is missing out on a stable life.

Why the hell did the rescue centre rehome a young (I assume it's young, going by your description) Border Collie to a couple in their 80s.

Something is going to happen that dog sooner or later. It's only a matter of time.
He looked about 41/2 ....stunning but not good, far from it. Imagin having a dog that you can not pull the lead out to, he curled his lip I thought WOW
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
He looked about 41/2 ....stunning but not good, far from it. Imagin having a dog that you can not pull the lead out to, he curled his lip I thought WOW
I edited my post to add that I would be having a word with the rescue centre who rehomed the couple the dog.

Not old at all then. The dog is obviously in need of some stability in his life....a bit of basic training to start with, by the sound of things. Poor dog, he hasn't a hope in hell.

I could understand the rescue centre rehoming them an old dog, but certainly not a 4 year old-ish Border Collie.

The dog is too clever for them, probably why he running rings (literally) around the old couple.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Poor lad, and the owners too The lady next door to my nan recently had to take her young terrier pup back to rescue because she couldn't keep up with him. Some rescues need to really get their act together in that respect imo
I so agree...........I thought I was being picky, but my hubby took ours away, as he wasn't over friendly with them. He reminded me of a doggy thug all he needed was a hoodie . sorry shouldn't laugh, but he was the very first BC, (and I've handled BC's for over 46 years) that even I thought, ''''watch the fingers''''' This poor old lady was saying OOOOOOh watch him, he doesn't like being told to do something, he never has, he has a brain turn or something and will suddenly have you'. They seemed afraid of him
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I so agree...........I thought I was being picky, but my hubby took ours away, as he wasn't over friendly with them. He reminded me of a doggy thug all he needed was a hoodie . sorry shouldn't laugh, but he was the very first BC, (and I've handled BC's for over 46 years) that even I thought, ''''watch the fingers''''' This poor old lady was saying OOOOOOh watch him, he doesn't like being told to do something, he never has, he has a brain turn or something and will suddenly have you'. They seemed afraid of him
This sounds like a Border Collie that came to the training classes I used to go to. The woman's husband was ill or something so she was trying to sort the dog out. She was scared of him, he was scared of everything, including her.

He would snarl, snap and growl. Lunge at other dogs and people and you really had to watch yourself around him. He had bitten her and he snapped at her. He looked incredibly scared and uncomfortable, the whites of his eyes were so exposed. He was a bomb waiting to go off.

A few months later he was slightly better, but still very untrustworthy. I often wonder about how he is now, but I don't expect it's good news and she stopped coming to classes.

I think there was something wrong health-wise with that dog, not just he fact that he was untrained. I'll probably never know now, unfortunately.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I edited my post to add that I would be having a word with the rescue centre who rehomed the couple the dog.

Not old at all then. The dog is obviously in need of some stability in his life....a bit of basic training to start with, by the sound of things. Poor dog, he hasn't a hope in hell.

I could understand the rescue centre rehoming them an old dog, but certainly not a 4 year old-ish Border Collie.

The dog is too clever for them, probably why he running rings (literally) around the old couple.
This sounds like a Border Collie that came to the training classes I used to go to. The woman's husband was ill or something so she was trying to sort the dog out. She was scared of him, he was scared of everything, including her.

He would snarl, snap and growl. Lunge at other dogs and people and you really had to watch yourself around him. He had bitten her and he snapped at her. He looked incredibly scared and uncomfortable, the whites of his eyes were so exposed. He was a bomb waiting to go off.

A few months later he was slightly better, but still very untrustworthy. I often wonder about how he is now, but I don't expect it's good news and she stopped coming to classes.

I think there was something wrong health-wise with that dog, not just he fact that he was untrained. I'll probably never know now, unfortunately.
Didn't think to ask what rescue, I was too busy watching him with my dogs.....if he'd of growled at Bruce I was ready to pull Bruce out. Luckily he didn't as they tried to reach out for him, (whilst he was showing his teeth at my girls), he ran off.
Whites of eyes very noticable, but he had them Exactly under his paw.
Something I did notice she had a few scars on her hand like teeth scars, and they were very reluctant to handle him, just waiting till he DECIDED to get into the car.
I was dumb struck
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Didn't think to ask what rescue, I was too busy watching him with my dogs.....if he'd of growled at Bruce I was ready to pull Bruce out. Luckily he didn't as they tried to reach out for him, (whilst he was showing his teeth at my girls), he ran off.
Whites of eyes very noticable, but he had them Exactly under his paw.
Something I did notice she had a few scars on her hand like teeth scars, and they were very reluctant to handle him, just waiting till he DECIDED to get into the car.
I was dumb struck
This is tragic.

Could you possibly go back to the park some time and see if they're there? This couple and the dog need help. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Mind you, it's already happening.

Plus the dog could cause an accident by chasing the cars, even if the cars do go slow there. He could run out from behind a car and in front of another one and that's that...a dead or seriously injured dog.
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:57 PM
i met a quiet lively 80 year old man, who had rescued a 13 year old dog, i thought this was lovely, because they both where lonely, and now the dog will have a home, when not many will rehome older dogs. maybe rescue centres should think about matching people up more carefully
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »