Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 12:21 PM

How Many Dogs Is Enough?!!

Just wanted your thoughts!

I have two medium/large dogs and I would love another if I was allowed (but hubby has put his foot down!).

Obviously with the dogs best interest at heart, I know it would be irrespnsible to collect as many as I an, lol!
And I wont be getting another for some time.

But just after a light hearted disscission with those of you with more than two dogs and how your house works. Are you in organised chaos most of the time or does it all run like clockwork?
I know if I have non doggy people round I panic about hairs and smells!!

And have you ever got another dog after saying there would be no more?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 12:33 PM
lol i agreed to not having any more after i had 2 med/large dogs and 2 cats. OH didnt want any more pets. In fact he was happy with just one dog but i love having all my animals! I have *really* agreed that 3 dogs and 2 cats is enough for us this time lol. I do like to make sure if non doggy people come round the house is a hair free and non-doggy as possible. But probably about 40% of the time our house is a bit like organised chaos lol but i think it would quite possibly be like that even without the animals lol.
I think a lot of the time tho its down to the personality of the animal in quesion. All of mine are pretty laid back so although they are quite big you dont notice them that much. However my parents have a totally hyper small cross breed (not hugely bigger than my cats!) and you notice her much more than mine! Also she is 10 times more work than my 3 put together!!! (although there is about 50 times less hair from her lol)
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Firstly, yep - we were only ever going to have one dog (mum's house) but ended up with our rescue, Eddy a year after getting Takara!

I have dogs to stay at different periods - I never go on holiday lately so I take friend's dogs when they go on holiday (only ever one at a time!) so I end up with three and the house is chaos! We have a border collie coming this afternoon!

I recently fostered a whippet x for 2 and a half months and to begin with it was chaos, and at times it was chaos but in general, we got used to it and coped.

I always said when Eddy pops his clogs I wouldn't have another dog. Two dallies have been VERY hard work and I'd like to be able to foster rescues and this is easiest done with only one dog because of the complications of walking three dogs.

However, I'm reconsidering

There are 5 dogs I want from the pounds here in Sheffield and Rotherham that I've seen on the websites and it's only because I live with my mother that they're not here! I daren't think what I'll be like when I finally get my own place...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2008, 01:20 PM
if you ask my hubby, he will say one dog at a time...but we have two

As for how many is enough, will depend on the time you can give them...

My criteria would be how many can you walk safely on your own...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Enough is as many as you can manage! I have 4 but then I am lucky enough to be a Divorcee.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Depends on lots of things..

Size of house, time spent at work..whether you live in a built up area..space for them to run around
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Well I've got six, but then again I mostly work from home, have a good size house and garden, plus the beach is at the end of my garden and the South Downs are only a five minute drive away.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 02:08 PM
the agreement we have is OH has his motorbikes ( 3 atm) and i can have the same amount of dogs.

i have 2 dogs and to be honest i'd love another BUT, i know my limits on how best to walk them etc. so another is out of the question.

costs also should be considered especially with insurance.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I have got room for one more and would love another. Trouble is Mo is soooo territorial that she won't allow another dog through the front gate

In tonights paper there is an advert for a brindle Greyhound who needs a new home. I have asked Mo, but I know it would be no good.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Well I think I am one of the real lucky ones, we have 3 dogs (atm) BC's, 5 cats, 1 rabbit 2 guinea-pigs 2 snakes, 2 indoor tropical (large fish) two outdoor pond fish....hubby is fine about them all on the conditions of......we can afford to look after them, food, vet, and exercise wise.
We will consider number 4 Collie, when Bruce is older, but the only thing hubby is would be not happy about....having another cat. as when we came here we have 8....I died of old age and two were knocked over....(that was about 3 years ago) but thier untimely death upset him so much that he says Fortunately the 5 remaining don't go near the road and stay in the house or back garden.
As for how our house runs.....very well, definately not chaos....so I'd say clockwise.
But then our three have regular exercise every day, and are well behaved in the house.
The only time chaos rules.....is when one of the cats brings in a rat or mouse.

ps.........I also work from home
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >