Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Collars to withstand the sea?

As the title of the thread says im looking for a collar which will do well whilst walking at the beach. Im sick of replacing then because they have gone yucky even though I wash them everytime when we get back.

I have a lovely ezydog harness for Obi which is doing well and it has guarantees against salt water but the only thing with the collars is they have a plastic clip fastening, Obi is quite strong and a bit of a puller, will these type of clips hold up as ive always been a bit wary?

Anyway any suggestions would be much appreciated

Ali and Obi
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I have the Ezydog collars on my two and at over 50kg each and a tendency to pull like a train when a cat apears in view, they have been well tested for strength. In fact, the ezydog is one of the few collars my Rottie X hasn't managed to break!

They swim several times a week too, although more in the river than the sea but the collars aren't affected by getting wet all the time.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Takara has a rogz collar which she always goes swimming in, be it in the lake, the dam or the sea. It seems to do well and isn't even washed each time!

Her's does have a plastic clip but it has a lock on the clip to ensure it doesn't come undone and it links through the D ring before clipping together to give it some extra stability.

I have every confidence that it holds her (she has the collar and matching harness) but she's only a dalmatian and doesn't pull much (although has been known to!) so I wouldn't like to tell you it'd be ok without first checking.

You could always contact the manufacturer (rogz) and ask them what they think?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Felix has a rogz collar and lead (and harness actually ) and its the only one i've found that withstands the sea... he doesnt pull at all but Ziggie pulled like a steam train and never broke his rogz collar and he snapped leather at one point
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks to you all. I will look into the Rogz collarsand see what I think of those
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:32 PM
We've got the Rogz collar for Cassie too and she's in and out of the sea all the time.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:27 PM
We have a Rogz collar for Hamish too, he's in the sea alot, and rivers/lakes/puddles. Seems to be lasting!

Deedee x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Daisy`s in the sea most days - we use a cheapie nylon half-check and chuck it in the washing machine every couple of weeks to remove the rust. Her current one has lasted a year so far.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 09:02 AM
My boys have Rogz too, and go in the sea at least once a week.

I just put their collars and leads in a pillowcase and bung them in the wash once a fortnight or so.

Both are pullers, and the Rogz plastic locking clip has worked so far, we've never had one fail on us!
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Well I went to PAH for a Rogz collar as I preferred the look of them rfom the internet.

Unfortunately the large was slightly too big for Obi and I wouldnt trust it not to slip off if he struggled, however the medium would probably cut his head of if he pulled on it due to the thickness.

So we not have a lovely black Ezy dog one. Hope it does as well as his harness is.