View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Can you introduce a kitten to a dog household?

I know of many people who have got puppies having already owned a cat - but can you introduce a kitten into a dog household or are the risks too great?
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Ive done it without any problems. You just cant leave them alone till you know the kitten is safe with the dog.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by AussieGeek View Post
Ive done it without any problems. You just cant leave them alone till you know the kitten is safe with the dog.
cheers - I couldnt do it for the foreseeable future as my GSD already has too much fun terrorising my cavalier but at some point down the line want a couple of cats on patrol
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I got my two kitlets last year & my BC Rjj had never lived with cats before(the threeo cavaliers had)then after three months I added Jessie who did chase the then kittens, but they were able to easily escape to their hideaway in the dining room which the dogs have no access to.

Then on Jan 1st I got Wukee a then 6 week old BC puppy, who one of the cat's adopted as his playmate. Jessie has stopped chasing the cats as they don't run when outside they just sit & look at her.

As long as you supervise the first few months & always ensure the cat can escape upwards out of reach they should be fine.

I replaced my cat door with a dog sized one & the cats showed the dogs how to use it !!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I actually found it easier bringing kittens into a dog household than bringing a puppy into a household which already has cats and dog! x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I think in some ways it must be easier tbh.

Depends on the animals themselves but my cats had never been in contact with dogs so freaked when our puppy came in.

Had the kitten been introduced to a dog household, I think it would've been easier. You can physically restrain and train a dog whereas best thing to do with cats is ensure they can escape if they feel the need to (hence mine never really took to the dog!)