View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2008, 04:49 PM

liitl d (advice needed, dog lunges at other dogs)

Hi I am a new member I have an adorable bull mastiff called Marley. She is great but a little skittish. We have had from a puppy and we were doing great until a staffie attacked her while she was on the lead. I now cant let her off the lead as she has become a bully. She now bullys some other dogs, usually small ones which bark, and lunges at most dogs when on the lead. I am working very hard to correct and am making some headway. I have had a dog behaviourist round and it is working to a degree. I wondered if anyone could advise me, I am trying to be top dog, pack leader and it is helping, but any help would be appreciated thaks liitl d x
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I know how this feels!!mine was attacked by a boxer one day and the a GSD the next and is acting exactly the same even towards puppies!!. this happened las t week!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Dawn
It sounds like you are making some head way with Marley, maybe attending a class would help reassure Marley. Just let the trainer know of your concerns, that is what they are there for - good luck
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Hi Dawn
It sounds like you are making some head way with Marley, maybe attending a class would help reassure Marley. Just let the trainer know of your concerns, that is what they are there for - good luck
Trixybird beat me to it....just what I was going to suggest to.
Good Luck
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Hannahcb
Its horrible isnt it, you work really hard to to make your dog happy and friendly and then someone who knows their dog has issues lets their dog off and it attacks yours and undoes all your good work. People who know Marley cant believe the difference in her. She is walking really well on lead until she sees another dog. I have managed to get her to walk passed some dogs ok and her old friends she just sniffs them as usual, but a stranger she lets them sniff her and then when you least expect it she turns into a tazmainian devil. I just keep chipping away at it, but get fed up of beeing the woman who got a dog she cant controll and have been told by one idiot, that he hates that type of dog and that they should all be put down. I bet he doesnt even know what type she is and that they are one of the friendliest breads. Thanks for support its nice to know some people understand x liitl d
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi there!
I also have a Bullmastiff, and she was attacked quite a few times in a short period.
We still have problems with other dogss, as she is always on the defence now.
She is worse with smaller dogs, and dogs that bark at her (she doesn't really bark).
I just keep her on the lead, and take her to St Annes beach on a Sunday for a good run, to let off steam and have a swim!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I would say, if you could get her into a class situation with other dogs who are not aggressive, dont respond to aggression when shown, this would help build her confidence again, it can be hard to find classes where other dogs are like this, I would normaly have a dog like her come in to the advanced class where the dogs are so confident in there own skin that they can take a bit of barking and so on without any worrie,

how old is marley?
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Shona,
Marley was 2 on monday, what you suggested sounds really good thanks
liitl d
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Hevvur,
Funny enough that is exactly the prolem it tends to be smaller dogs who bark at her and that set s marley off, although not always. I think she is so nervous now and possible the reaction of the other owners. Although if I had a eight stone dog running at me who I didnt know I am not sure how I would feel. I guess I am biased. But St Annes sounds a good idea
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by liitl d View Post
Hi Shona,
Marley was 2 on monday, what you suggested sounds really good thanks
Hi Liitl d,
how long ago was it that marley was attacked? did the barking and lunging start right after the attack? or did it build up later on?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >