Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Painful leg

Ella seems to have sprained or twisted her leg, nothing is broken and there is no heat in it. Is there anything i can get for her to ease the pain? Are there any childrens pain relief that a dog can have? She is 3 months old and is about 13kg if that helps.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Is she limping on it or holding it up and not using it.
My girl kept holding her back leg up for a couple of weeks. No heat and once I'd given it a rub she put it down.
i gave her a childrens calpol each day, and it seems to have gone right. She must of jarred it or trapped a nerve. She was in no obvious pain.
Half a nuerofen a day would be okay too. And keep walks to small on lead ones, rest as much as possible and keep calm (the pup not you). If no change in a week then perhaps get your vet to see her.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 06:17 AM
No advice, as I would be at the vets by now (I'm such a wuss). Hope there's some improvement soon x
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Is she limping on it or holding it up and not using it.
My girl kept holding her back leg up for a couple of weeks. No heat and once I'd given it a rub she put it down.
i gave her a childrens calpol each day, and it seems to have gone right. She must of jarred it or trapped a nerve. She was in no obvious pain.
Half a nuerofen a day would be okay too. And keep walks to small on lead ones, rest as much as possible and keep calm (the pup not you). If no change in a week then perhaps get your vet to see her.
She limps a bit then she is fine for a few hours and forgets to be careful of the leg. She jumps or tackles Cassie then squeals and limps a bit again. She did lift it up when it first happened but not since. Thanks about the calpol i will give that ago, as for trying to keep her calm, thats more of a challange!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Would not medicate, it may mask the pain and because of that she may damage it further. If she has limped for more than 24 hours even if intermittent I would seek the advice of a vet.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
My vet told me paracetamol and nurofen were bad to give, he said asprin is the only pain killer ( human kind ) to give.
But I'd rather get her x rayed, there could be a wee hairline fracture or some thing, pulled tendon or ligament damage, and I know its hard trying to rest an exitable puppy but your gonna have to try, hope shes ok, best of luck with her xx
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I would rest her completely for 24 hours and see how she is. If she shows a marked improvement then continue observing her and don't allow her to put much stress on the leg, however if there isn't much improvement then I would take her to the vet. I personally wouldn't give any medication at this time.
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I would take her to the vets just to make sure. I didn't take henry when we first had him as i thought he had just banged his leg funny and bruised it or twisted it funny. I found out he had perthes disease which is only identified in the first year. Henry was ok on his leg once he was up but after say a sleep he found it really stiff. Your dog probably wont have this and apparently it is not seen as much now but i would always go for a check up.
As for human medicines without seeking the advise again from a vet i would not give anything to my dog as they are specifically for humans and dogs are not the same could be side effects etc...
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
It's up to you what you do. I used Calpol (as my vet advised me, however my bitch showed no signs of pain. After a week she was fine. However yes I would always check with the vet first, as some breeds have problems with certain things and allergies so check first.
I would expect the first thing the vet will say is rest completely for a few days and see how she is. I doubt they would jump straight in with an xray first without trying rest and possible medication first. Rimodyl is used a lot of the time by the vets.
Certainly do not use aspirin as a dog of your age will not be very tolerant of it and can cause problems. Definately speak to your vet first