Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Comp Obedience - sit

Hi guys,

We're totally retraining 'sit' to make it straighter and faster with as close to zero latency as possible.

My question is can anyone put some photos of a good straight sit and point out what it is that's looked for? I've been pulling her forward a bit so she has her weight spread over her front paws as well as back rather than leaning back slightly and trying to get her front paws straight together.

I'm also working at getting her to tuck her back end under for a sit instead of moving her front paws backwards to go into a sit but I don't really know what I'm looking for and need to make sure I get all the criteria I need in her sit before adding the cue.

So can anyone help please? You do realise there will be similar threads for each position and behaviour in the future!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 09:42 PM
In the HW close? or in the present?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:52 AM
In the present or in the heel work?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Brain problem, should have read above post

Jeanette
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
For both really - at the moment I'm simply shaping a sit and will then build it into which position I want it in.

Info for both HW and the present would be good as I'm going from a book at the moment and you can't ask a book questions!!

(They really need to open a comp. obedience class in Sheffield!)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:57 PM
In Hw id want the dogs feet level & straight & approx level to the Instep of the handlers foot, there should be very little gap between dog & handler, (though you may have a small natural one with "naked" a dallie),spine should be straight so Square when looked frm behind. Shoulder level & CLOSE to handlers left leg Head/neck should be up & touching the handler , on a dallie (depending on you height) id expect the head to be around your hip area. None of the body (except the head) to be curving around the body, dog holding its "own" weight, not leaning onto the handler....yet touching.

In present, as close as you can with your dog not through your legs!, i like "contact" with the dogs front of body to my legs, but again a dallie may naturally sit back abit, Again Straight & Square as poss, preferably with the dogs head looking straight up,aim to have the dogs head (height accordingly) in the midsdle if your belly & the rest of the dog in a straight line. Experiment with the width apart of your feet.

If you look on Obedience Uk, on the out & about you will see some sits in action!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
questions no prob!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Fantastic thanks hun!

What do you call your sit in HW? I think I need a different cue because my family keep telling her to sit

I'm going to struggle with the contact thing but I knew that from the beginning. She doesn't like sitting close to me at all (I think she's long sighted ) - although it's improving with free shaping.

Thanks again
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 12:42 PM
In front/Present:I just use "come" for that or "Sit straight", ideas for a different word some people call it "front"

HW: sit to start & end i just use "Sit" or "close" or "Watch" my dog knows that when i stop & my feet are together they sit & if i stop with my feet apart they stand. Positions on the move i use "sit"

DC: i use the dogs name with Sit.

I think with Dallies,all ive seen have worked slightly off, thinking for what they are breed for this is understanable or they would be squashed.

Theres a couple of vids in the OB sec on here of me Training my pup Mav,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks - will have a look at those! Thanks very much, I'll let you know how we get on Takara's getting much closer on the front ones now that she's realised that I will click if she moves a bit closer but we haven't worked on HW sits yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >