View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:26 PM

which dog feeding stand for large breed?

Hi,

I'm looking for a good feeding stand for two bowls. My dog will grow as big as a large Weimaraner and I've heard that feeding stand will help avoid bloat and be easier for the dog to eat and drink.

I was looking at ordering some food from Zooplus website (Orijen puppy for large breeds) and I see they have feeding stands. They come in a range of sizes and wondered if anyone could advise which height would be appropriate.

Thanks

Louise
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I personally don't feed from a raised bowl but do have raised drinking bowls. I am fairly sure they are 17" tall and my dogs range in height from 21 1/2" to 26 1/2" (approx - pup is now bigger than my Aussie!). I got mine from Luxway
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
hi i have labs and my mum has a st bernard, we got a wooden stand with 2 metal bowls in it from P&H ours eat well from them and it was not bad in price, hope that helps.

Just seen you from Margate, i am in broadstairs. There is dog show tom if you up for a fun day out.

good luck.
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the tip.

Where is the dog show on at?

Lou
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I would double check the thoughts on raised feeding bowls preventing bloat as I'm sure I read somewhere that the latest research suggests it can infact increase the risk of bloat.

Not sure where I read that, may have been on here?!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
For what its worth I have read both statements, on here and elseware stating it helps prevent and can cause.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I have also read on here I think, that raised bowls can cause bloat, also have read that they prevent it We have always fed from the floor and have English setters...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Perhaps use raised bowls but only half as high, that way you're hedging your bets!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I have read both statements before, but my dog seems better eating/drinking out of a raised bowl, especially as she has arthritis, so I use 2 raised bowls

Got mine 4 years ago though, and the website no longer exists!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I have read both statements before, but my dog seems better eating/drinking out of a raised bowl, especially as she has arthritis, so I use 2 raised bowls

Got mine 4 years ago though, and the website no longer exists!
That helped with storm aswell with his dodgy legs.

We looked at alsorts of raised feeders but found the best and by far the cheapest was a large plantpot the same height as the feeder, cut the a hole in the bottom and his bowl slotted in. It cost about £1.20 for the plantpot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >