Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Help with rechargeable shaver

I only "de-fluff" in the summer, and my rechargeable Braun shaver has been on charge and not used for probably six months or more.

It's as dead as a dodo.

It's charged, and feels hot at the point where it plugs into the charger, but pressing the on/off switch gives nowt.

Have I b*ggered it?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 04:57 PM
it shouldnt feel hot were it plugs in, sometimes the charger unit may warm up where it plugs into the wall but I would be concerned that the jack points heated up! do you have another carger that would fit it?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Me thinks you need to buy a new one Mrs.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
it shouldnt feel hot were it plugs in, sometimes the charger unit may warm up where it plugs into the wall but I would be concerned that the jack points heated up! do you have another carger that would fit it?
Sadly, no Shona. Looks like I'll have to invest in a new one, doesn't it?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Me thinks you need to buy a new one Mrs.
I suspect that too, J
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I only "de-fluff" in the summer, and my rechargeable Braun shaver has been on charge and not used for probably six months or more.

It's as dead as a dodo.

It's charged, and feels hot at the point where it plugs into the charger, but pressing the on/off switch gives nowt.

Have I b*ggered it?
In short, yes.

If the battery is lead acid (unlikely), the long period without charge will have caused it to sulfate and thus not retain charge.

If the battery is Ni-MH or similar, then likely having it stuck on charge for an excessive amount of time causes the cell to oxidise and again prevents charge.

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
In short, yes.

If the battery is lead acid (unlikely), the long period without charge will have caused it to sulfate and thus not retain charge.

If the battery is Ni-MH or similar, then likely having it stuck on charge for an excessive amount of time causes the cell to oxidise and again prevents charge.

Thanks, Chris - I shall launch it bin-wards today

Trouble is, what do I do with the new one? Leave it on charge, or take it off charge during the long "furry" months?
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Well, I'd suggest either dont buy a rechargable if you know you're not going to use it, or ensure that when you buy your new one, make sure its Ni-MH, and that you dont leave on charge all the time.

I.e. you only charge when you need to.

You can help this by say once a fortnight, just switching it on, and letting it run completely flat and then charging up.

The problems arise when you leave them on to charge for too long. The more they charge, the more they generate heat. As the heat generates the more oxidisation takes place. As more oxidises, the less it'll be able to charge up (i.e. create a lower maximum charge capacity). If you're into your electronics, this means you get a voltage but no current.

I have this particular problem with batteries for my digital camera, as they're high powered, hi-draw cells, and they get very hot indeed. I have to have a special charger with its own inbuilt cooling system just to stop the batteries from frying!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Well, I'd suggest either dont buy a rechargable if you know you're not going to use it, or ensure that when you buy your new one, make sure its Ni-MH, and that you dont leave on charge all the time.

I.e. you only charge when you need to.

You can help this by say once a fortnight, just switching it on, and letting it run completely flat and then charging up.

The problems arise when you leave them on to charge for too long. The more they charge, the more they generate heat. As the heat generates the more oxidisation takes place. As more oxidises, the less it'll be able to charge up (i.e. create a lower maximum charge capacity). If you're into your electronics, this means you get a voltage but no current.

I have this particular problem with batteries for my digital camera, as they're high powered, hi-draw cells, and they get very hot indeed. I have to have a special charger with its own inbuilt cooling system just to stop the batteries from frying!
Thanks Chris. I've already ordered a new one, but have no idea what type of battery it has in it (being female, and all that ). I'll remember to just put it away in the furry months..... Thanks very much for your knowledge and assistance
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I've just tried to find out what battery the new one has in it, but even on the Braun website, there's no info......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >