Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Aha! He DOES Swim!

As it was another hot day today and I am trying to find ways of taking Deccy for special outings at the moment, we went off in the car to Lough Gowna about ten minutes away, where there is a picnic area, lots of places to walk, and miles of lake! Deccy has never swum but he enjoyed paddling in water up to his elbows when we were flooded last winter.
He tried the water at the slipway, decided it was not to his liking so came out; then we walked along the edge and I nudged him in so he paddled for a bit then hopped out again; eventually we went down the jetty where there are steps every few yards and he went in with a great splosh! Realising that he couldn't touch the bottom he launched into thirty seconds of swift doggie paddling and came out at the next set of steps!
I decided that was enough for his first swim - but at least I know he can do it! He seemed to enjoy it after the initial surprise as his tail never stopped!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Excellent Gill. You'd have had to dive in after him if he'd decided not to make the effort....... bless him!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
You'd have had to dive in after him if he'd decided not to make the effort..
Ah no, he had a plain collar and a loooong lead so I could reel him in and if that failed... ok just as well I've taken up swimming again this year!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Well it took Bruce over three months to decide whether he was water babe or not....decided he was last week.Well Done Deccy
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Well done Deccy wont be long untill you join the water addicts on here , maybe next time there will be a pic

Mind you with Jack it trying to get him out of the water that's the problem, he's just like a child when you tell him it's time to go, he has to have just one more splash around before he does as he told
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Well done Deccy!!!

My 2 HATE water (as peis are known for) they wont even walk through a puddle but we discovered Diesel could swim when he fell in the pond at Battersea Park
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 09:08 AM
we discovered Diesel could swim when he fell in the pond at Battersea Park
Poor Diesel!
We went again this morning and nobody was about. Deccy trotted happily down the pontoon but when I invited him to go in he dug his heels in so he got a shove and in he went! He swam further this time but he's still going mad with his front legs when he reached the steps (which are every 20 feet or so) he jumped out and shook all over me
We then went for a paddle in the shallows which he was happier about, then as we were on our own and there is a lovely big piece of grassy field by the lake I let him off the lead and he had a good gallop up and down which cheered him up no end and dried him off a bit.
When Diva is back in circulation I'll take them both, I expect she will be in like a shot and shame him into following!
Rose takes her Labs there, funnily enough they don't all swim.. or at least show no inclination to, whereas others dive in without any hesitation and as a breed they are supposed to love the water!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Gill. Sounds like he's enjoying his trips to the water. I'll bet he looks so sweet doing his little doggy paddle. Bring the camera next time
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Both mine love water but would never swim until last year when we went to the beach and my OH gently coerced them into the sea for a proper paddle. Jed needed taking by the collar but Flynn soon wanted to join in and took it upon himself to swim.

Now they will both swim willingly but still need a nice slope into the water, they wont just dive in!

In this weather, it's a great way for them to exercise without getting overheated.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Well done Deccy
Mo won't go near the water. Once on the beach she was chasing a rather mad Collie who went straight in the sea. Mo was so intent on chasing her that she went in too, then came to a full stop and you could almost hear her say "Ooooh nooo what have I done!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >