Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Goldfinches

Like alot of people on here I feed the birds religiously and considering we live in a town with a much built up area, we have been very lucky to have a nice selection. Robins, Blackbirds,Blue tits,wren,Great tits,Thrushes,Chaffinch,Sparrows,Jays,Magpies,Coll ared Doves,and the Old wood Pigeons, we have several feeding stations in the garden, where they feed from. Then today I had two Goldfinches .......I have never seen these before so I am very excited, I've looked up what they feed on, thistle seeds and the like, so hopefully I can encourage them to stay and get photo's of them.
What birds frequent your garden/neighbours
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
We sometimes get Goldfinches, Greater spotted Woodpecker,
Wood Nut hatch, but mostly Robins Sparrows, Starlings, Blackbirds, Great tit, Blue tit, Coal tit, Dunnock, Collared dove and wood pigeon.
I love to see them all but get very excited when something new or something that doesn't visit very often turns up.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
We sometimes get Goldfinches, Greater spotted Woodpecker,
Wood Nut hatch, but mostly Robins Sparrows, Starlings, Blackbirds, Great tit, Blue tit, Coal tit, Dunnock, Collared dove and wood pigeon.
I love to see them all but get very excited when something new or something that doesn't visit very often turns up.
Your so right, I was all excited. Hubby thinks I'm dopey I tried to get the camera, but they were gone before I got back, still hopefully they will be back
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
We have sparrows, (supposedly in decline but you wouldn't think so if you could see our garden ) starlings, blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, robins, blackcaps, seagulls! dunnocks, wrens and the odd greenfinch.
They are all lovely and their breakfast of crumbs, suet currents and oats goes out every morning.
Wait till Helena sees this thread !!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
We have sparrows, (supposedly in decline but you wouldn't think so if you could see our garden ) starlings, blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, robins, blackcaps, seagulls! dunnocks, wrens and the odd greenfinch.
They are all lovely and their breakfast of crumbs, suet currents and oats goes out every morning.
Wait till Helena sees this thread !!!
I;m keeping it quiet and away from her, she'll be coming round to pinch them Never had greenfinches. Did see a Dunnock once in the garden and out the front we get alot of pied wagtails, but they don't come into the garden, they seem to feed along the road
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Being in a village the suffolk countryside by the sea we get loads.
Thrushes, blackbirds, robins, wrens, bullfinches, barn owls, herons, seagulls the lot.

We do get tonnes and tonnes of greenfinches, Abigail the cat is quite partial to those so deposits them at the french doors so Tonto eats them when he goes out. He has been seen running round the garden (coz he knows we'll try and get it) with two little feet sticking out of his mouth!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:33 PM
We don't get many in the garden - its rather bare, just grass, with no trees/plants (neither me or OH are very good at gardening).

But we do get a lot flying over including buzzards (very high up), sand martins and oyster catchers (what noisy things they are ). We also often get bats flying around.

I really envy my brother in the states though, they get humming birds in their garden. They have a special feeder for them and I could just watch them zipping around for hours.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Being in a village the suffolk countryside by the sea we get loads.
Thrushes, blackbirds, robins, wrens, bullfinches, barn owls, herons, seagulls the lot.

We do get tonnes and tonnes of greenfinches, Abigail the cat is quite partial to those so deposits them at the french doors so Tonto eats them when he goes out. He has been seen running round the garden (coz he knows we'll try and get it) with two little feet sticking out of his mouth!
We have a cat that does that with FROGS....and they whistle/squeal, I'm always taking them off him....unharmed thankfully
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
We don't get many in the garden - its rather bare, just grass, with no trees/plants (neither me or OH are very good at gardening).

But we do get a lot flying over including buzzards (very high up), sand martins and oyster catchers (what noisy things they are ). We also often get bats flying around.

I really envy my brother in the states though, they get humming birds in their garden. They have a special feeder for them and I could just watch them zipping around for hours.
OH! lucky brother.... we have bats too and Gary has buzzards by him, we also have a mommy squirrel with 3 young (my babies) I feed them too.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
We mainly get Sparrows, Starlings and Collard Doves, I do occasionaly get a Wood Pigeon, I have had a Robin and Blue Tit, and a few years back I had a family of Greenfinches as well, which was lovely I tend not to put food on the ground for the ground feeders, because we have about 8 cats that sit in wait for them

Now my Mum on the other hand is different, she has Reed Buntings, Blue, Great, & the odd Long Tailed Tits, Robins, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Collard Doves, Wood Pigeon, Magpies, Green Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Rook or Crow (one of the bigger black birds) Thrush, Ordinary Pheasants both male & Female and of course the lovely Black Pheasant I'm sure I've missed out on some, but I do envy her the wildlife she has, she also gets a couple of Squirrel visiting as well, and can see Fox and Deer in the fields at the end of her garden
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
We mainly get Sparrows, Starlings and Collard Doves, I do occasionaly get a Wood Pigeon, I have had a Robin and Blue Tit, and a few years back I had a family of Greenfinches as well, which was lovely I tend not to put food on the ground for the ground feeders, because we have about 8 cats that sit in wait for them

Now my Mum on the other hand is different, she has Reed Buntings, Blue, Great, & the odd Long Tailed Tits, Robins, Chaffinch, Nuthatch, Collard Doves, Wood Pigeon, Magpies, Green Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Blackbird, Rook or Crow (one of the bigger black birds) Thrush, Ordinary Pheasants both male & Female and of course the lovely Black Pheasant I'm sure I've missed out on some, but I do envy her the wildlife she has, she also gets a couple of Squirrel visiting as well, and can see Fox and Deer in the fields at the end of her garden
Love to live at your Mom's My Mom and Sister have woodpeckers and Foxes, they live in Lincolnshire. And we did see two deers on our way back last weekend, standing at the side of the road I was jumping up and down, shouting look, look,.............Patrick almost spun the car off the road
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >