View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:59 AM

Got told off this morning... next step - barred from park!

Takara was offlead running this morning - the guy who mows the lawns in the park was up at the top of the hill but T doesn't like the noise so I knew she wouldn't bother him.

As I looked back and called her, she was eating something in the grass but as she was on the top of a hill I couldn't see what it was. Recently, people have been dropping bread for birds everywhere, clearly not realising they're just encouraging vermin in the form of dalmatians I shouted her but there's little point if there's food (which is why if I see picnics she stays on the lead).

Next thing, the park keeper stops his lawn mower and runs towards her cursing. He yelled at her and she ran off and then he picked up his coat he came marching down to me and told me he now had no lunch...

I apologised profusely and offered to bring him something down as we're only up the road but he declined!

Ok - I know she shouldn't have had the chance to eat it, but honestly... if I see anyone with food, I put her on the lead... he had put his coat down with his sandwich on the grass, where there was no chance of me seeing it and not only complained when she ate it but declined my offer to bring him something...

So I know I was in the wrong but what's the point in complaining when he doesn't want another one and he'd left it on the floor?! If it hadn't been my dog it'd have been another, surely?!

It's really upset me because I'm doing my best with her and the park was virtually empty with nobody around with food - I'm trying my best to get her out of the stealing so keep her on a lead if there are people with food as well as training at the same time but not only did I get told off but now she's been reinforced for it again

I don't seem to be able to win!

We're changing walking areas I think....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Aw Lottie! If dogs are allowed off lead in the park then I don't think you did anything wrong. The silly man shouldn't have put his food on the floor. Any animal could have made off with it - a sea gull, a goose, a squirrel.

If it had happened to me (i.e. it was my sandwich that got ate) I would have laughed about it!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Take no notice hun ,How were you to know the silly man would leave his lunch just sitting on the ground , It will teach him not to leave his food sitting for a nice we doggy to come along and have late breakfast, He cannot have been that hungry when he declined your offer of another sandwich xxxdk
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Aw Lottie! If dogs are allowed off lead in the park then I don't think you did anything wrong. The silly man shouldn't have put his food on the floor. Any animal could have made off with it - a sea gull, a goose, a squirrel.
Absolutley agree... if you put your sandwich on the floor and leave it, then it's your own fault if it gets eaten by an animal...

How could you have known his coat and sandwiches were there??
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Well thankfully, in the past people have been very good about it because Takara has done this before... only difference is she'll quite happily run up and just take it from people!

We're on a strict training regime but I'm swaying towards setting up some situations where people with picnics just scare the living daylights out of her when she goes up to steal food to try and put her off!

We're going to try the positive training methods again but think I'm going to end up having a friend sit with a sandwich and a pet correcter spray...
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Don't be upset! It was all his own silly fault, and I'm trying really hard not to giggle because I don't want to upset you, but you paint such a great picture of Takara getting to the goodies...I just can't help myself...

I'm totally with you on the bread thing, Pepper (who could be an honourary Dally on the gluttony front) found a load of soggy white bread this morning, it drives me nuts as well! Don't they realise it's eaten by dogs and rats, not birds!

He was silly, you offered to make him lunch, don't worry about it and if you ever find the magic solution that will get our piggy dogs to leave stuff we don't want them to have let me know!!!

J
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys... it just annoys me because it's yet another case of me not having the silly bitch under control!!

Plus, I'll never stop her doing it if she gets chance to be reinforced for it!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Don't be upset! It was all his own silly fault, and I'm trying really hard not to giggle because I don't want to upset you, but you paint such a great picture of Takara getting to the goodies...I just can't help myself...

I'm totally with you on the bread thing, Pepper (who could be an honourary Dally on the gluttony front) found a load of soggy white bread this morning, it drives me nuts as well! Don't they realise it's eaten by dogs and rats, not birds!

He was silly, you offered to make him lunch, don't worry about it and if you ever find the magic solution that will get our piggy dogs to leave stuff we don't want them to have let me know!!!

J
LOL it's called a long line, J

Not great though when you also have to walk the senile one on a flexi lead and Takara's friendly and well behaved in every other way - she doesn't go upto people (unless they have food), she doesn't jump up or bark, she is good with other dogs but she's a thief! It's so annoying!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry but I found that so funny. That would be Reah, silly man leaving his food on the ground. Don't worry hun, been there myself
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree with everyone else, he shouldn't have left his lunch lying about on the ground in a park the pillock.

I know what you mean though after all the work you are putting in with her x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >