Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Kitchen Extention.....soooo scared!!!

i'm just getting my plans done ready for a new extention. i've never done anything like this before and it really scares me

i've got ball park figures for the build which came in what i expected and the 2 builders i've got in the pipe line are reputable and i've seen and spoken to other customers who were more than happy.

so what scares me?

the worse case senario.......the house falling down or totally messing up and it costing me more.
its totally irrational, i know, but when you go into the unknown its scarey!!!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:57 AM
How exciting for you, but at the same time I understand your concerns x

I am married to a builder so have works going on here most of the time. We were all done and prepared to sit back and enjoy - until we decided to have a room in the roof done

So our bedrooms are like a bomb has gone off at the moment but I know all will be worth it in the end

Have confidence in your builder and discuss daily the progress. Also if building regs and planning are needed you will have the added security of a local building inspector periodically checking on the statues of works.

If walls are being moved that require rsj's or lintels, you should have structual calculations also.

You will have a new fab kitchen, try to look forward and plan all those lovely new items which are going to go in there xxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2008, 10:23 AM
If the builders have come recommend, and they know what they are doing, you should be fine..are you taking load baring walls down, have you actually seen some of the work both builders have done, has a structural engineer looked at the plans..

Expect for it to cost more than you estimated.... these things always do.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
the company i'm leaning towards do everything from design to completion and are FMB and NHBC registered, and are local.
they also provide a project manager, structual engineer,architects everything even waste managment!

the build does require the outside wall coming down so rsj's will be needed, its also being attached to the conservatory.

the size is 10ftx12ft so will make my kitchen 24ft x 10ft
the ball park figure was £18k max inc plans and vat. i thought this was reasonable.
the units etc will be separate but a max of £5k inc appliances.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
We've just had a kitchen designed, cost us £17k in total, which includes new washing machine, dishwasher, American style fridge freezer, microwave and a Range cooker, gas fitters, electricians and fitters we've knocked the small kitchen and dining room into one big open room, so now have a kitchen/diner 6M x 3.5M, after paying for it and ordering it my OH keeps panicking thinking something's not going to fit, they came out measured up and designed it to fit.....but he's still panicking and the more he worries then I start too....lol.

It's going to look fab when finished, just wish it would hurry up, before he finds something else to worry about.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
cc, i know exactly how your OH is feeling, LOL!!!!

my OH is going to fit the kitchen, he did our last one, so that will save £xxxx.

i need to stop watching Rogue Traders! thats why i'm worrying.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
ive just had my kitchen done, still waiting for the tiles to be grouted, but im so pleased with it. loads of space,all light n airy. and my kitchen is tiny. but im happy, got the surveyor around 2morow. mine was done by the council. so didnt cost me anything, other than lots of teas n coffees.