Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Early neutering in 5 week old puppies?

I saw something in Dogs Today about the early neutering that some rescue centres work with.

I knew that this was something they did in America but I didn't realise the RSPCA had been spaying and castrating puppies for years.

Personally, neutering a 5 week old pup doesn't sit easy with me... it just doesn't seem right - far too young as I've always thought 6 months was the very earliest.
I can, however, understand the motives for it and if it made a big enough difference to the over population problem then I suppose it could be warranted but I don't know if there has been a significant improvement in areas where this is routinely done.

I just wondered what other people's thoughts were. I'd be interested to see what you guys think because I'm still not sure what to think about it!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Tut tut tut tut.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Far too young in my opinion
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Although i completely agree with neutering i would have thought five weeks was too young for lots of reasons.

the danger of the anesthetic.

the stress for the puppy

I wonder how they coap with having such a big op so young.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:06 PM
5 weeks? Jeezo. Not something i'd ever consider putting a 5 week old pup through. I even think 6 months is too young but then that's just me.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I also know lots of breeders overseas who desex at between 10-12 weeks, but 5 weeks is definitely too young IMO !
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:21 PM
5 weeks is the very youngest mentioned in the article. Apparently the RSPCA have been doing pups from 12 weeks I think?

I thought it seemed way too young but vets have said there are fewer post op complications and a shorter recooperation period in young pups. Behaviourists are more concerned about the mental state of these pups and how they are ever supposed to mature.

I can understand that the RSPCA want to neuter before rehoming due to so many people not bothering, but I'm not sure there should just be a stricter assessment process for those wanting to adopt a dog too young to neuter. (so that they are more likely to see them come back.)
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Seems awful young IMO - especially when experiences at this age can have such a big impact later on. As well as stress of the op etc if the pup is with RSPCA it is likely going to have stress of rehoming afterwards so seems a lot at once for a wee pup. JMO. I'd think it would maybe be better if the pups had to go to new homes with an agreement of neutering later on - 6 months at earliest.

Deedee x
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I've nothing against neutering, just like i'm not anti docking but for the love of me I can't see why they back this and back the docking ban.Seems a little contradictory to me,xxxxxxxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I still don't understand why they back the docking ban, but it's ok to take your dogs' claws off !! and it's ok to take the tails off of working dogs !! Am I right in saying that the ban was introduced as they deemed it 'cruel' ? If so, it's either cruel, or it isn't, can't have it both ways !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >