Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Wasps (Urgent Help and Advice Needed)

My shed is full to bursting at the door with stuff which includes 5 sacks of hay for the guinea pigs I picked up from the horse field. As I have been getting some out the floor between the stuff has got covered. There are cages and runs and lawn mower etc etc all crammed in and not space for me to even get one of my feet inside.
I opened the shed door to get some hay yesterday and this huge wasp, which I presume is a queen flew straight at me so I slammed the door and run back indoors.
I have today seen this big wasp flying into the shed through a small gap between the walls and the roof, so am terrified to go near the shed now.
Can you tell me will there be other wasps there with her or will she be alone at the moment and if I can kill her will it stop all her mates coming along?
I keep going out armed with a can of wasp killer so if I see her going up into the gap I can spray and kill her. So far no luck.
I need to get a couple of bits out of my shed tonight and over the next couple of days so really need to give it a good clear out, but don't want to disturb a nest of angry wasps as they scare me to death.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I had a wasp nest and the council came out o deal with it. Not sure if they still do or if they now charge. Might be worth ringing them?
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:49 AM
My mum had this problem in one of her disused stables. She stored hay etc in it and one day opened it to find two or three huge wasps. On further inspection she found a wasp nest hanging. The nest was huge (about a foot long and quite wide). She is not afraid of anything and she continued to use the stable. The wasps went about their business and this year the nest is empty.

I would look for a nest. If they are coming and going then it is likely they will build one. You can pay someone to remove them. If there is no sign of a nest then I would bung up any entrance hole.

I'm sure you can safely go out there. A wasp will not harm you if you leave it alone.

Remember not to spray wasp killer near any hay that the guineas will eat.

Hope this helps.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:51 AM
My Parents had a wasp nest in the roof of their house and a few got into the house as well. They had to call the Pest Control people out. they got the number for them from yellow pages. They soon got rid of them. I personally wouldn't advise tackling them yourself.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Call the pest control (local council ) and they will come out and deal with them.

If you are in council housing I dont think you need to pay , if privately owned their is a fee.

It only take a couple if Min's for them to deal with the problem.

We have had a wasps nest a couple of times now, once in the rafters over the bathroom, then over my lads b/room.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:55 AM
This may help

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Generat...=0&MENU_ID=485
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Asti that was a great help. I think I'm at the early stage where the queen wasp is just building the nest in the shed and I'd like to kill her before any others hatch.
Only thing is I havn't a clue where in the shed as there is so much junk in there. It could be anywhere amongs the hay or other stuff in there.
Its an old wooden shed so lots of places for her to get in and out. I did see her sitting on a wooden fence this morning and went to spray her but the wind just blew the spray back at me and she flew back into the shed completely untouched.
Perhaps i should just bite the bullet and clear the shed and hope i don't get stung.
Pest control don't come till June and by that time I would have thousands of the things and I don't want my dogs stung as they like catching and eating anything that files.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Why not phone up your local council and just have a word with them like others have advised, I'm sure they will be able to help or advise you. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck anyway.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Are you sure its a wasp and not a hornet? We had loads of hornets around here last year, they do look like large wasps, I was told they were harmless but they make such a noise I ran a mile!!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 01:16 PM
we get loads of wasps in our avaries due to the fruit we feed the parrots
we went to B&Q and brought wasp traps they are yellow and you put jam in them the wasps go in and cannot get out
they have worked well for us for the last 4 years hun
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >