Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2008, 05:20 PM

I have a new home.

I am in the dog house I've been sailing this weekend and wife picked me up in her brand new Volvo. She was low on fuel, so we stoped at the petrol station - and I fill the tank with petrol. Its a diesel car! Wife was She does not speek to me any more. She yells

60£ for petrol, maybe 100£ for the towing to the repair shop and who knows what they will charge to take the whole fuel system apart and cleen it?

I need somebody to tell me that its OK - its a mistake anybody could make - it happens all the time - that I'll be allowed into the house before winter. I need a shoulder to cry on

Nav
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:30 PM
did you start the engine ??? if not its a simple drain if not your in trouble i used to work at a BP site and trust me if i had £1 for everyone who had done i;d be very very rich
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:32 PM

I don't know any other man that has admitted they've done that. Lots of men tell how their wives have done it

I'm sure she'll forgive you eventually.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh dear, I do feel sorry for you, but if I was your wife I would be very unhappy too. Hopefully by the time Winter has arrived it will be in the distant past.

Enjoy your kennel!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:39 PM
This has just happened to Suzanne, a work colleague of mine. Her boyfriend filled her car with Deisel and it should have had unleaded. Total cost of draining, flushing and the tow home (I think that was free as it was the AA) came to £183. Mind you, she only has a KA so you are probably looking at more than that.
Hugs mate - I'm sure OH will mellow - give her time x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:52 PM
I think it is a lot worse one way round than the other, (i.e. diesel in petrol engine or petrol in diesel engine) don't know which way it is though! So hope you got the 'best' way and it's not as expensive.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh dear, but it takes a real man to openly admit he's done wrong Apparently, this is the worse way around, i.e. petrol in a diesel according to o/h, coz deisel in petrol is not half as bad. If you haven't driven it, then you might have been half saved, coz it's a simple draining job and filter changes, but if you have, then oh dear.......not good mate
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I think it is a lot worse one way round than the other, (i.e. diesel in petrol engine or petrol in diesel engine) don't know which way it is though! So hope you got the 'best' way and it's not as expensive.

You are right Kel it is much worse if you put diesel into a petrol engine than petrol into a diesel.

However since Navigator filled the tank it will have to be drained and possibly need a new filter .

He could probably drive it to the garage provided he takes it very slowly. If not then he would need to have it towed.

I only know cause my OH did it with ours and the garage told him he could drive it provided he took it slow.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Yes, that's correct, I'm sure Fluffybunny feet, or Colin, or even Helena54 will be along in minute to tell us which way round it is.

In the mean time Nav, (a) commisserations (b) try to be extra nice to OH for a while (c) sending you my best wishes and hope it all blows over soon
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
You are right Kel it is much worse if you put diesel into a petrol engine than petrol into a diesel.

However since Navigator filled the tank it will have to be drained and possibly need a new filter .

He could probably drive it to the garage provided he takes it very slowly. If not then he would need to have it towed.
Sorry, but you're wrong here Eunice Dave just said again, the reason it's worse when you put petrol in a diesel car is because the petrol rots everything in the diesel engine, whereas deisel in a petrol is not as bad. I take it he knows coz he's been in the business for over 35 years and has seen the evidence time and time again
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >