Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Iggnorrance against the disabled

I was furious on Monday ,I had top go to get my staples removed and decided to try and do some shopping at the local tesco store before my appointment , Well it was my first time out since my surgery ten days before ,And to say I was sore was an understatement ,Well i tried to walk around the shops wthout any assistance Not a chance I was exhausted and in a great deal of pain my legs were shaking as well ,So my oh decided to get me in a wheel chair ,I was not embarrased to do this I just felt as though I was depriving a disabled person of using one ,Anyway i could stick the pain no longer and had no choice so gave in and hired a wheel chair,
We went into tesco to do some food shopping as if id left it to my oh we would be eating ready meals and dog biscuits all week men cant shop
While my oh went off down one ailse I was wheeling myself down another when I encountered the most iggnorrant person ever, She was a very large lady and her trolly was filled with what I can only describe as junk food , Choccie biscuits crisps etc , I politelly said excuse me can i get past , When she snorted looked all round her then turned away again, So I said down here love ,She looked down and grunted what in a very abrupt mannor ,So again i replied can i get passed, Ay in a minute she replied when im finished So I then asked again excuse me can you move your trolley love so i can pass , she completely ignored me and jammed her trolley even further in my path, Well i tried to move her trolley , and couldnt , so i had to try and get myself out of the wheel chair which was extremley difficult , due to the pain in my ribs and the staples and swelling from the surgery , I eventually pulled my self up out of the wheel chair and pushed her trolley to the side , sat down again exhausted and whelled myself around her , She stood there as arroganyt as you like and said huh thats like a scene from little britain, And to this i replied yes but unlike little britain love ill smack ya in gob , If you dont get out of my way , I was furious by the down right arrogance of this woman towards a wheel chair user,
Ok i was only using it due to haven surgery but I really got an insight in the two hours i was using the chair for ,Into what it must be like for physically disabled people on a daily basis , And dont get me started on the iggnorance and un helpful ness of the tesco staff, Lets just say it has infuriated me so much I emailed the store with a complaint ,And am still awaiting a reply which I doubt i will recieve, The iggnorrance I experienced first hand not only in tesco but in going around the shopping centre in that two hours was diabolicle and so unnecessary ,How do people think that disabled people feel when they are treated like lepars or second class citizens, Imo they must have no morals or coinscience if they do not stop and realise they are hurting people feelings by treating them in this manor xxdk
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 03:18 PM
thats appaling!!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Well done mate and good for you getting her told,ignorant mare.I'd have offered her a discount teeth wiring maybe then she wont block the aisles anymore .

It is disgraceful how todays society behave towards disabled people and I'm glad I'm not one of them,
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Totally agree appaling I would have run her over
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Tbh I was so amazed at the iggnorrance of people against disabled people , Surely they deserve the same respect and kindness as able bodied people, Just becaue they have a disability does not make them less human or mean they have less rights to be treated in a proper manor , I would never dream of being so abrupt or iggnorrant towards an able bodied person ,So why would anyone feel the need to tret a disabled person in such a way , I was disgusted to say the least xxdk
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry you had to experience this

I nearly fell over laughing when I attended Crufts with my wheelchair. If I go without it, I'll last an hour or so max, so we decided to take it with us even though I can walk fine with minimal discomfort for short distances.

Well we got there and there was a mega long queue for the lift so I got up and took the stairs, Dad following with the wheelchair and when I turned back to look at Dad there was a woman staring, open mouthed and pointing at me!!

I tend to find that we experience really rude people or those who jump out of the way just because you're in a chair and, whilst their intentions are good, it's really annoying!

What I find far worse is the dirty looks I get for using the disabled toilets or parking spaces and don't use a wheelchair. Nobody's ever brave enough to say anything, in which case I'd explain what a hidden disability is and why I need to use such facilities but instead they just mutter under their breath to the person they're with and throw dirty looks my way!

I tend to smile and wave now
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I'm sorry you had to experience this

I nearly fell over laughing when I attended Crufts with my wheelchair. If I go without it, I'll last an hour or so max, so we decided to take it with us even though I can walk fine with minimal discomfort for short distances.

Well we got there and there was a mega long queue for the lift so I got up and took the stairs, Dad following with the wheelchair and when I turned back to look at Dad there was a woman staring, open mouthed and pointing at me!!

I tend to find that we experience really rude people or those who jump out of the way just because you're in a chair and, whilst their intentions are good, it's really annoying!

What I find far worse is the dirty looks I get for using the disabled toilets or parking spaces and don't use a wheelchair. Nobody's ever brave enough to say anything, in which case I'd explain what a hidden disability is and why I need to use such facilities but instead they just mutter under their breath to the person they're with and throw dirty looks my way!

I tend to smile and wave now
Good for you hun , I myself am registered disabled due to an operation on my foot a few years back , Aleft kellors procedure and have to use crutches when my foot is really bad ,I was offered a whell chair but because I can get around ok some of the time I declined as I felt I didnt need it but do use my crutches , I just dont get why people dont realise that people cn be disabled without haven to have there legs amputated or needing to be in wheel cair 24/7 ,I wish that in this day and age people were better educated instead of being down right iggnorant or abrupt to people they consider not to be disabled or worthy enough to be treated with respect xxdk
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:12 PM
i always say u dont have to have a limp to be disabled.
ive got the blue badges, but very rarly do we use them all depends on how i feel. i get days where my back n hips are killing me. i get out of breath because of the heart probs. i try not to use the disabled bays with the extra large parking bays, ill park safely on yellow lines instead.
and the only thing ive asked for extra is a shower as i fall getting in and out the bath. so thats being mesured up monday, also a handle to help me out the bath.
but i totally agree the way some ppl treat the lesser abled is discusting.
hope u feel better soon DK
and asdas treat u better btw.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I know where you are coming from DK, I experienced it when I used to push my aunt around in hers. I get so annoyed now as my daughter is profoundly deaf, and if someone says something to her and she says I am sorry can you say it again because I am deaf, (she lipreads) some people will just huff and walk away from her, as if she is stupid and they can't be bothered with her. If I am with her I will let rip, but if she is on her own she just ignores it, but I know how it hurts her. I think I need to take my baseball bat out with me next time.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Thats awful ,Think id be behind you hun with a baseball bat also , xxdk
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >