Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:46 PM

MRI Results

I had my MRI scan on 12th March and on Tuesday , my chiropracter told me he had the results. He didn't go into much detail , but did tell me that the MRI confirms I have a slipped disc. He sounded disappointed when he told me my doc would probably refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon , and my treatment would depend on what he (the surgeon) said. My chiropracter prefers his patients not to have surgery , and has a good record of improving problems and avoiding the need for surgery. Anyway , I told him that my doctor has already referred me to a neurosurgeon , and that I have an appointment on 15th April. Last week , I had phoned my doctor to find out if he had the results yet , the staff at Bupa had told me he would have the results in a week. My doc hadn't had the results last week , or on Tuesday , but didn't get them until this morning. I now have an appointment to see my doctor on Monday. Although I know I have a slipped disc , pressing on my sciatic nerve , as that's what my chiropracter told me on Tuesday , I'll be asking my doctor lots of questions and hopefully get more detail about my results. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in 3 weeks , to get his opinion , and to find out if I need surgery . I'll keep you all posted.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Bless you, it all takes time doesn't it ? (Had shoulder trouble for nearly 9 months now)

Wishing you all the very best xxxx
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:48 PM
good luck ,pain its vile isnt it
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I know two people who have had surgery of this kind. Both of them are absolutely fine now......

If you do have to go the surgery route, please try not to fret (!) as the recovery rate is very good indeed.

Not something I'd like to have to go through, all the same.....

Hugs honey xxx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Hope your disc problem resolves well by whatever means.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Well , it's 3-35am and I'm just home from work and I've been quite worried today ( maybe that should say yesterday , (Friday) , night shift has that effect ). I managed to get a copy of the MRI report from my chiropracter and there are some long , scary medical terms on it ! I understand the bit that says I have a " significant right paracentral disc protrusion with right S1 root compression in the lateral recess". That means the disc at L5/S1 has slipped , quite a bit , to the right and is compressing my sciatic nerve . Degenerative retrolisthesis which means the L5 vertebrae has slipped backwards onto S1. The bits that worry me are "vertebral haemanginomas " , most prominent at L1 and L3 , and also the report mentions there is a " multiloculated cystic bone lesion in the left iliac bone" . The radiologist has recommended obtaining an orthopaedic opinion and further imaging with a CT scan and plain radiograph ( x-ray) of the pelvis. Now I've got all weekend to think about it and worry myself . I don't see my doc until Monday at 5pm. And , because I'm worrying , I nearly bought myself a pony today to take my mind of the report .