Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 02:24 PM

do dogs mourn

Just wondered how your dogs behaved when they lost another dog from the household,

after a recent thread I got to wondering,

Vinnie began moaning at the photos dennis brought over yesterday, He did seem depressed after royce died but now over a month on, he is still doing odd stuff, eg the 4.00am lament,, eg One long low howl,
the photo thing,
the crying at the front of royces kennel, but not going in even though the door is wide open,

no one single dog has raided the run yet, which is way strange, normaly if you left it open and took royce for a walk, all his worldy belongings eg, tyre, bucket, old bones, rope had been robbed before you got back, but they remain in there untouched, aint dogs strange?

just wondered if anyone else had similar problems after the loss of a dog?
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Well I believe they do mourn - Having recently had my boy Sweep pts his neice Bliss(who never left his side in his last days) has been unsettled, looking around & pacing & sighing....she now lays by my feet in the evening which only Sweep did!

When Kalli died during c.section, Sweep(it was his sister) layed by the front door for months a far away look on his face...................consequently when we had Poppy(Sweep's Mum) pts we bought Poppy back home for Sweep to see her, right or wrong, for him it was the right thing.

So yes I do believe so
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes I believe they do, after Tigger was put to sleep last August, Rusty was there when we buried her, she climbed into the hole and tried to pull her out, she has gone very grey and is still moping, so much so we are worried we will lose her this year, she doesnt eat properly and keeps having kidney infection's despite blood's she is still mourning.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 02:42 PM
all my lot seen royce as he died in the house,,,in the middle of the night, vinnie sat by him, never moved for food, water, or a wee, untill the body was taken away, which would have been five or six hours, bless him,
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes I believe they mourn. We had to have our 17year old lab pts at home. We also had a 15 year old golden retriever at the time, so they had spent nearly 15 years together. You would have thought our 15 year old was a youngster at the time as she was still very healthy and active, but after the lab being pts, our goldie just gave up the will to live she went downhill so fast it was unbelievable. She just kept searching and waiting for our lab. We only had the goldie for 6 months after, it was as if just didnt want to be here. She started having fits and just wanted to lay down all the time. Nothing we did could bring her out of her misery and we ended up having her pts. Our vet said at the time that she had just given up on life, it was so sad to see.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Awwww poor Vinnie, Have to say yes they do,I remember Nelson howling over Cujo .My wee Paddy did mourn the loss of our Amber too but he was quiet about it,he just looked a lost soul when we took him out for walks .He def changed as he doesn't run off for a scout about anymore he seems to prefer to be with us now.xxxxx
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I think they do, I adopted two oldies JRT brothers they were inseperable, and one passed away th eother soon followed, just gave up , he was so miserable without his brother Also when we lost our eldest dog last year, Meg went into a real decline for several months, and acted really odd.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes they do Shona, as I said last night, it does'nt hit them for a few weeks, they think their buddie's coming back, it usually take a few weeks for them to realise their buddy won't be back.

Never mind, Vinnie will get over it but it's un-nerving in the early hours when they start the howling.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Yes they do Shona, as I said last night, it does'nt hit them for a few weeks, they think their buddie's coming back, it usually take a few weeks for them to realise their buddy won't be back.

Never mind, Vinnie will get over it but it's un-nerving in the early hours when they start the howling.

they say if the other dogs see the dog thats died,,they know its dead, this should help with the watching and waiting, they know death kinda thing, so if thats true, hes not waiting on him coming back, but could it just be missing him? missing the security of knowing he was the top dog, sort of thing?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
they say if the other dogs see the dog thats died,,they know its dead, this should help with the watching and waiting, they know death kinda thing, so if thats true, hes not waiting on him coming back, but could it just be missing him? missing the security of knowing he was the top dog, sort of thing?
Absolutely, Royce was the top dog, he was their leader so now they're a bit confused, you'll probably notice Vinnie moving into the vacant place in the pack.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >