View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Fed up (and probably about to be controversial...)

I have to say, in the past, part of the joy of owning a dog, was walking a dog and chatting to other doggy people when out and about. Now, there seems to be less and less of that and more people with their dogs on leads giving off a 'don't come near me please' vibe.
I feel like I am always watching out for other dogs, incase I put my foot in it with other owners.
I think it's really sad.
Whatever happened to dogs being allowed to say hello and greet each other??? It just seems to be happening less and less and I think it's a real shame...or is it just me?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I do agree, When we got storm and first took him to places, we had people coming up to say hello, letting their dogs say hello and have a little run around with him. Now however there is to many people who take their dogs out and go out of their way to avoid people with other dogs, I accept there maybe reasons, but in some cases there is no reason. It also upsets me when I see people with pups/young dogs who avoid other dogs and even pick them up when they see another dog, what kind of message does that send.

I have posted on here awhile back about walking down a path past a man with his dog off-lead running about, when we got near skye walk over had a sniff, he started having ago for letting Skye say hello.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:05 PM
even though china is still a bit dog aggressive she is fine with most dogs if introduced properly...

for example:
we walk around a park and woods area...she is ALWAY on flexi lead...if i see someone walking towards me with a dog i will put her into a sit
they sniff each other
if ok they may bat each other over the head, sniff and run a bit
if not and she is eyeballing or just not looking too friendly i will get her attention but at all times i talk to the owner!!

so many people dont want to say hi anymore...im forever talking to anyoe who will listen!

Ailsa, we should walk together...china has two FCR called josh and gilly who she LOVES!!!!

Alex
xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
We should Alex. It's getting on my nerves now! Just took the Biffters out and met 4 dogs, 3 onlead! Owners didn't even wave...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Stormey, it is getting silly isn't it? I also feel like the small scuffles that we would have written off in the past are becoming big deals now, you know those quick growls and teeth and then backing off...I posted about one such incident the other week on here, but in the past, I wouldn't have given it a second thought really....so I suppose I'm as bad.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Again I agree, when Storm was a pup, he played and run with alsorts of dogs, he also hand minor scraps that were nothing just what dogs do and he grew up to be the best dog when with others
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
ph the amount of times china has been growled at or growled at another dog...

its just their way of saying "get that cold nose out of my ar*e!!!"
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
ph the amount of times china has been growled at or growled at another dog...

its just their way of saying "get that cold nose out of my ar*e!!!"
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I agree, it is a shame. Thankfully we have always got on okay out and about. Met a lovely retriever puppy, well, I say puppy, this fella was around 10 months old. But what friendly fella, he was wiggling at Dougal so much I thought his tail was going to come off.

Same with a big black lab I met as well, wiggling like mad. Dougal thought it was great fun.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
So glad its not just me...
I have a real wiggler here, he wiggles so much he trips himself up at points...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »