Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 06:30 PM

My non Doggy related Crufts Story...

Well, I've left this story til today as I was too knackered to tell it last night. I went to Crufts with a really good mate I've know for 16 years. She was my maid of honour at my wedding and we've shared a good few...umm interesting trips in the 16 years we've known each other. Nothing ever goes without a hitch when we're together. We once ended up at Old Trafford going to Blackpool for the weekend! and that's only one example!
She's had a tough time recently and is just starting to get back on her feet financially. Anyway, we were heading home yesterday were about West Yorkshire somewhere when we saw a motorway policeman. Everyone was passing him but my mate didn't want a speeding ticket so stayed behind him. He pulled off the motorway a few miles on and off we went. Now she was doing 80 so when he turned up behind her a few miles later, we assumed he'd got her for speeding. She pulled over to the hard shoulder and he called her back to get into the police car. Half an hour later, I'm still sat in her car and she's still in the police car and I have no idea what's going on. It was throwing it down with rain and completely miserable. Anyway she eventually came back to get her purse and said don't ask he's going to arrest me and seize the car because it's not insured
Off she went again to the police car and I'm sat there thinking, what are we going to do if he seizes the car. Now I know my mate and no matter how skint she is, she always has insurance and tax on her car because she can't work without it! Another 15 minutes go by and she comes back and gets me and asks me to get in the police car with her.
Turns out she'd changed car insurance with a company on line 3 weeks ago and they have no record of her on the system. He's still talking about seizing the car and leaving us on the side of the motorway. Apparently they are well within their rights to do just that.
He asked where we had been and we told him Crufts and that's when he became a bit more human. I think he thought she was taking the p**s in the beginning. Anyway, turns out he has a border collie too! To top it off he wants to retire to Canada so between us having Cassie and me being Canadian, things were starting to look up. He agreed to call an online insurance company and if we paid on the spot, he'd let us continue on our journey.
Cost me £500 on my credit card to get us back on the road and she has a £200 ticket and 6 points hanging over her head.
I wouldn't want to be this online insurance company when she gets hold of them tomorrow! As long as they've made the mistake and will give her a cover letter to that effect she may just be able to overturn the ticket but at this moment in time our journey home from Crufts cost £700!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bet no one else had such an eventful time! She could seriously write a book. What if we had been hit on the way down or her car stolen? It just doesn't bear thinking about and I can't believe the police would actually even think about leaving 2 females on the side of the motorway without a car! Thank goodness he actually believed us in the end
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Good grief, Jackie......

At least you got home safe and sound in the end, even if you were much more skint than you anticipated. Will you get your £500 back?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Good grief, Jackie......

At least you got home safe and sound in the end, even if you were much more skint than you anticipated. Will you get your £500 back?
You couldn't make it up really could you? Honestly, things like that happen to us all the time We're really not safe to be let out together! She should be able to cancel that expensive policy on Monday but if not she'll see me right so I'm not worried about that.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
sounds like quite an eventful trip, just glad your both ok.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
OMG! Imagine he left you there though and it was later found out it was no fault of your own, he'd be in so much trouble, poor lass she must have been horrified! I left my platic at home on purpose to curb my spending so if it were me i'd have been in big trouble!

Hope she gets it sorted. x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
sounds like quite an eventful trip, just glad your both ok.
It certainly was that. Thankfully we're both ok

Originally Posted by random View Post
OMG! Imagine he left you there though and it was later found out it was no fault of your own, he'd be in so much trouble, poor lass she must have been horrified! I left my platic at home on purpose to curb my spending so if it were me i'd have been in big trouble!

Hope she gets it sorted. x
Told you it was a corker. Can't believe they could just leave you there on the side of the road He didn't have to let her sort some insurance either. He could have just taken the car and left us! It was a traumatic hour or so I can tell you. I always have one credit card with me just in case. Just as well I did really
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
It certainly was that. Thankfully we're both ok

Told you it was a corker. Can't believe they could just leave you there on the side of the road He didn't have to let her sort some insurance either. He could have just taken the car and left us! It was a traumatic hour or so I can tell you. I always have one credit card with me just in case. Just as well I did really
Isn't it just! Imagine having to walk home from Yorkshire!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Isn't it just! Imagine having to walk home from Yorkshire!
Honestly, you couldn't have made it up could you?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I hope she got his number and reports him He couldn't have left you standing on the motorway, it's illegal. If she took out insurance on line 3 weeks ago she should have received a certificate of insurance within days, did she get the certificate?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I hope she got his number and reports him He couldn't have left you standing on the motorway, it's illegal. If she took out insurance on line 3 weeks ago she should have received a certificate of insurance within days, did she get the certificate?
He said that they could leave you there but my OH says it's illegal to be a pedestrian on the motorway! She has his id number anyway. She didn't get a certificate from them. They said they don't send out paper copies. She's got all the emails at work so can't deal with it til tomorrow! He actually let her ring the company she'd gone with online and they said they only update their system once a monthHow can that possibly be legal? Will know more tomorrow. It was quite frightening TBH
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >