Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:10 AM

Punish your dog

I think I have spelled it right lol

How do you punish your dog? When training, if your dog doesnt obey and you know it understands the exercise how do you punish it?

It could be other situations aswell; when caught cheawing something it isnt allowed to? When barking when not supposed to?... etc.

In training I grab Ally and verbally tells her "NO" then let go and its all forgotten. Some use other methods, but what do you prefer?

And please dont turn this into a heated debate as we are not all the same, our dogs are diff and the purpose of us having them are not the same aswell
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't punish my dogs when training ...if they don't obey the don't get rewarded !!! as for chewing something or being naughty a stern NO is all i do ..
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

30-03-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't punish my dogs - if I caught them chewing i remove the object and say no and thats the end of it. I only reward good behaviour and ignore bad - this really works for me
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Emm
I don't punish my dogs - if I caught them chewing i remove the object and say no and thats the end of it. I only reward good behaviour and ignore bad - this really works for me
This is the way I do it.....it works with my lot....
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I dont punish either - They get told NO if they are caught doing something naughty.

When we were at the Lakes we took the kids quadbiking at a large activity centre- there were horses etc there . On site were some gorgeous collies wondering about and a little pup tied to a post. (I hate seeing dogs tied up but understand the reason why in this case because of the horses etc)

anyway- got chatting about the pup, asked how old he was etc. Lady replied she didnt really know and that she was trying to stop him jumping up at people (understandable again as there are children visiting etc). Anyway poor Laddie jumped up at her and she *whacked* him right across the head really hard- it really upset me
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:33 AM
No is enough for mine. If they don't do something whilst training no reward is the "punishment".
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Emm
Same here
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi amts

'Punish' tends to be a very emotive word in English. It has significantly negative connotations, so don't be surprised if you get a few offended responses Most of us though understand what you mean. Like Inca, I do not 'punish' as such. In training they are rewarded by praise or a treat when they do well. If they goof off or make a mistake they recieve no reward. The lack of reward is sufficient to let them know they have made an error. If they are being evil in a non-training situation a call of 'leave' or enough' will give them pause for thought and they will stop whatever they are doing and return to me - whereupon it is 'good leave' and a reward. I never get at all physical with my dogs.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Maybe the word "punisment" was wrong??
Maybe correction is better?

Do you change command when training outdoors and when correcting indoors?

Like if you tell your dog to stay outdoors and walk away. Lets say 30 metres. If it goes off will you correct same way as if it had chewed on a chair or something indoors? (bad example I know, but I´m a bit lost here lol)
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2005, 09:41 AM
A rise in the volume of my voice is suffcient for me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »