Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 07:19 AM

Last Puppy...

Do you ever worry your dogs will out live you?(sorry if it sounds morbid)Do you think once you get to a certain age,it would be better to take on an older dog?
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

30-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Moli
Do you ever worry your dogs will out live you?(sorry if it sounds morbid)Do you think once you get to a certain age,it would be better to take on an older dog?
Hi Moll

There is an organisation set up specifically for these concerns they are called the Cinnamon Trust.

It says it is the Natiional Charity for the elderly and their pets however it also covers serious or terminal illness. this is the URL http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/

Stan
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Moli
I worry about EVERYTHING
What if we're in an accident etc and what will happen to the dogs
We have no family who could take them and all our friends have their own dogs so I couldnt see anyone being able to take on another two

My son is nearly 18and I dont think he could sufficiently look after them and work FT - my ex has his own staffy who is not dog friendly

I keep saying I am going to writie something in my will about them going to breed rescue with a large donation from my will- will have to sort that out actually. I would want them to go together which I suppose would make it harder to rehome

Now youve ade me all sad and morbid Moli
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Understand where your coming from Moli, personally I hope I'm never without a dog,but as we grow older we have to think of these things.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Our wills provide very specifically, and generously, for any dog/puppy/animal that we may own at the time of our deaths. I think it is the responsible thing to do.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 10:12 AM
my dad has these concerns last year when he lost one of his dogs and the other was very lonely ..anyway he had one of Bonnies pups
my dad is 75 and in very good heath ( looks in his late 50's) but we agreed that if anything were to happen she would come back to me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I Have thought a lot about this having known someone who insisted her dogs were PTS when she died. I feel your age really does not come into it that much, you can die or become disabled at any age and need to consider this when you take on a pet.. and make provision in case it should happen. If you are older and have a younger dog, in many ways it is easer to rehome a younger dog than and older one who may not adapt to change so well or who might have seen changes of owners already. I will always have a dog or puppy ..and I know if anything happens to me I have made sure there will be more than one family member willing to look after my dog or dogs.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Moli
I worry about EVERYTHING
What if we're in an accident etc and what will happen to the dogs
We have no family who could take them and all our friends have their own dogs so I couldnt see anyone being able to take on another two

My son is nearly 18and I dont think he could sufficiently look after them and work FT - my ex has his own staffy who is not dog friendly

I keep saying I am going to writie something in my will about them going to breed rescue with a large donation from my will- will have to sort that out actually. I would want them to go together which I suppose would make it harder to rehome

Now youve ade me all sad and morbid Moli
sorry Lel, what I actually meant was, if anything happens to the girls I have now..there's no doubt I will out live them..I would not take on another pup..it would have to be an older dog..
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:26 PM
When I get to a certain age I won't take in a puppy.

At this point, should something happen to me, my best friend knows to rehome them.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2005, 12:37 PM
No I dont now, but when I (hopefully) get to a certain age I will prob take in an adult dog. I have made a "will" saying what to do and who should have my animals in case anything happens to me before IŽm old (-er lol)

When working at the animal shelter we talked to elderly people who wanted a pet about taking an adult dog and if not, have a plan on what to do if anything happens to them.

I think dogs will improve life quality and study has shown that a dog living in a retirement home will give the people who lives there fewer sick days and gets them more vitale.

If a puppy is right for elderly people or not depends. You never know how long youŽll be around and some can cope with puppies others will benefit more from a grown dog I think.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >