Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:31 PM

pinch collars?

theres a dog site i recently stumbled across... i decided to ask about indies on and off onlead aggression/behaviour. anyway, people keep suggesting a pinch collar. my opinion is they are a barbaric instrument and are not necessary in teaching anything to a dog.
what are peoples thoughts on these?
i dont think people should be recommending them. Its like recommending a choke collar to someone who doesnt know how to use it!

rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2005, 08:34 PM
no way hos'e
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:35 PM
i think they are barbaric
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:36 PM

dont u think that if i used something like that on a dog who is being aggresive towards other dogs, all that will happen is she will associate the pain with seeing dogs and become even more aggressive!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Jenny I would never use one in a million years no matter how much the dog pulled
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 08:39 PM
I think they should only be used as a last resort and by people trained to use them not the general public. I could not use one
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:40 PM
If you ask a question you're going to get all sorts of replies. Most people aren't going to explain how to use things unless you ask.

Pinch collars, IMO, are not barbaric. They're a tool to use correctly and they can work. However, pinch collars are most effectively used for dogs that have long, thick fur and have no reaction to the choke chain. You can go to a pet store, trainer, etc. and put one on your wrist...they're actually more comfortable than a choke chain as they 'grip' instead of 'choke'. You can also buy rubber nubs to fit over the fingers.

The point of pinch collars, like chain collars, is the noise, not the grip or choke...which is why I say they're more effective for a certain type of coat. When used correctly, either collar shouldn't choke or pinch, pull the dog up off of the ground, etc. The dog should hear the chain slide against itself.

I'm not sure what problems you're having but I would think that there would be other methods that would be more suited to a Staffie. There are no jump harnesses, no-pull harnesses, holti's...all which give you better control over your dog if that's what you need.

As I stated in another thread...the chain and pinch collars are for training purposes only, not for walks, not for regular collars (normally)...they should be worn in class and then when practicing at home only.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:40 PM
i jus cant believe that with all the info we have on modern day dog training methods that people are still recommending things like this :smt071 :smt071 :smt071 :smt075 :smt075 :smt075
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:42 PM
it was a reply given to this problem : http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=8019

onlead aggression with other dogs, not pulling behaviours
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Jenny...

I was typing my first reply while you were typing your others apparently.

There should be no pain associated with that pinch collar. You can see by the photo that the chain slides through either side of the pronged section, before it comes to the ring. Doing a quick pull and release on the lead causes the chain to rub and make a noise...that's what you want.

These collars aren't for pulling/aggression problems. I'm sorry that you got bad advice regarding them.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »